Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Before anyone yells at me, yes I have read the "steps that work" thread.

Now that that's out of the way, here's my question.

What do YOU use as an iPod video conversion App, or rather, what app do you use at which settings? I'm trying out Handbrake Lite right now for the first time to see how it runs, but I'm likely going to head back to Handbrake since it seems to include the ability for .h264.

Thoughts?

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
neoelectronaut said:
Before anyone yells at me, yes I have read the "steps that work" thread.

Now that that's out of the way, here's my question.

What do YOU use as an iPod video conversion App, or rather, what app do you use at which settings? I'm trying out Handbrake Lite right now for the first time to see how it runs, but I'm likely going to head back to Handbrake since it seems to include the ability for .h264.

Thoughts?
I use handbrake with the mpeg-4 encoder at 304 height and whatever width at 1000kbps (620 for cartoons) and that works great for me because then I can watch them on a TV too. PM me if you have questions

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
AliensAreFuzzy said:
I use handbrake with the mpeg-4 encoder at 304 height and whatever width at 1000kbps (620 for cartoons) and that works great for me because then I can watch them on a TV too. PM me if you have questions

Does it work to go with 1000kbps for the ipod? I was told not to go over 700 and something. I know it would make a much bigger file but how much better would the quality be?

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I dont wanna highjack the thread...but i noticed that when i used handbrake to rip a dvd...the picture looks dark.. the bit rate is set at 128...if its higher would the picture be clearer?? also would the file be bigger?? sorry guys im just experimenting...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
AJ Muni said:
I dont wanna highjack the thread...but i noticed that when i used handbrake to rip a dvd...the picture looks dark.. the bit rate is set at 128...if its higher would the picture be clearer?? also would the file be bigger?? sorry guys im just experimenting...

Use MacTheRipper....

...and I use iSquint. It works nicely, gets the job done easily. For more control, check out ffmpegX. The iPod doesn't support MPEG-4 bitrates over 700/second.

Linkety to ffmpegX. (Works great for a lot of other stuff but has weird A/V sync issues sometimes. Great software otherwise!)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
AJ Muni said:

I use Handbrake to rip movies using the H.264 encoder (baseline profile) at about 600kbps with sound at 128kbps. You have to add them together. The iPod supports H.264 up to 768kbps so 600 + 128 = 728.

Haven't really done many movies but I am starting to rip my TV shows but this time using the MPEG4 encoder at 1250kbps and 128kbps sound. I use the high bit rate and rip the shows at either 576x320 or 480x(whatever) so that when I eventually get a new iPod I can watch them on a TV at decent quality. The resolution is fine, it conforms with the macroblock limit of the iPod and iTunes says they are in the right format when I tried to use it to convert them.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Chundles said:
I use Handbrake to rip movies using the H.264 encoder (baseline profile) at about 600kbps with sound at 128kbps. You have to add them together. The iPod supports H.264 up to 768kbps so 600 + 128 = 728.

Why am I just hearing this now??? Quite a few wasted conversion sessions going on over here.

BTW, iSquint appears to make video darker as well. I wasn't aware that Handbrake does the same. I guess my method of ripping a large file for my system in Handbrake and making a smaller version for iPod with iSquint will have to be revised. Though, maybe all converters make them darker.

The things I like about isquint are that it has a cue so you can put a list together and have them convert all of them overnight. That, and it gives you simpler defaults that are harder to f up.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The iPod also accepts .mp4 files encoded with MPEG4 at bit rates up to 2500kbps. I've ripped a few shows and at 576x320 1250kbps I have trouble telling that it's not DVD. And the iPod can play 576x320 as it fits the macroblock limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.