Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrollf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Ireland
I have ripped a TV show dvd using handbrake and it imports to iTunes as a Movie and not a TV show! How can I make it appear as a TV show with its episodes listed individually like all other TV Shows in itunes? Each disk has 2 episodes on it but they appear as 1 'long' episode??

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
Open the disc in Handbrake. Near the top left of the window will be an option for title. Click the drop down menu, and select one of the titles. If there are several titles, you should be able to figure out which is the actual episode based on the length. Add it to your queue, and then select another title, add it to your queue, then start ripping. Open both files in iTunes. Select the files, and choose get info. Under options, set media kind to TV show, and there you go:D

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Another option for setting the files as a TV show is to use a program called MetaX. I haven't used it in a while, but it works fairly well for putting metadata into a video file.

Zonyc

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Metax is a phenomenal program for tagging video files. You can change the options to appear as a TV show, movie, etc. You can also add additional info such as art, director, cast etc. I would highly recommend this app for all of your tagging needs!

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
When you drag the file into iTunes, it puts it in as a movie. Go into the "Get Info" dialog box, and change the file type to be a TV show - it's a dropdown selection on one of the tabs but I don't have iTunes at work so I can't tell you exactly which. You can then specify the episode name, number and season. iTunes will then group episodes from the same season and order them per episode #.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Something you should know before you go tagging all your media from within iTunes is that the information you add gets added to your iTunes library file and not the media file itself. If for some reason you move/share your media or try and run it in something other than iTunes, all that laborious labelling will be for nothing.

As someone said, use MetaX for tagging the files as it embeds the information within the file. No matter what happens to those TV shows, they will always know what show, date, actors, episode number etc etc. they are if you use MetaX.

Use handbrake to rip the individual episodes to your desktop and then just drag and drop the files into MetaX to tag them. You can even tag multiple files at a time so it's dead easy to tag an entire season of a show in one big swoop automatically.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Something you should know before you go tagging all your media from within iTunes is that the information you add gets added to your iTunes library file and not the media file itself. If for some reason you move/share your media or try and run it in something other than iTunes, all that laborious labelling will be for nothing.

This is not entirely true.

For WAV files, PDF files and maybe another format or two, yes.

But for mp4/m4v files, things like artist, artwork, comments, disc number, track number, season number, etc. stay in the file.

Ratings, video type (Music, TV Show, etc.) will not be copied unless you use a program like MetaX or something.

But the most important information IS embedded into the file. I use MetaX for tagging my movies with Actor/Producer/Rating, etc., but all of my TV Shows are tagged directly in iTunes. I have ripped about 15 - 20 seasons of different shows (Probably over 500 episodes in total) and every last one of them has been tagged in iTunes and removed and re-added to my library without me ever having to retag anything.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
This is not entirely true.

But for mp4/m4v files, things like artist, artwork, comments, disc number, track number, season number, etc. stay in the file.

Are you absolutely sure because before I used MetaX I relied on iTunes to organise my tagging. When I moved my media (i.e. the raw .m4v files that I made myself from the DVD's and Handbrake and not the library information files) to a different computer I ended up with hundreds of 'Episode 1 X.m4v' files sitting in the movies folder with no self awareness and needing to be watched, identified and tagged in MetaX.

Obviously the files you get from the iTunes store are fine wherever you move them as they come with the information already embedded but files you ripped from Handbrake don't seem to retain any of the iTunes information if you move them to a different computer.

Just tag everything with MetaX from the start imo. You only ever need to do it once anyway and it's not worth the drama of what can happen if you don't.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Are you absolutely sure because before I used MetaX I relied on iTunes to organise my tagging. When I moved my media (i.e. the raw .m4v files that I made myself from the DVD's and Handbrake and not the library information files) to a different computer I ended up with hundreds of 'Episode 1 X.m4v' files sitting in the movies folder with no self awareness and needing to be watched, identified and tagged in MetaX.

Obviously the files you get from the iTunes store are fine wherever you move them as they come with the information already embedded but files you ripped from Handbrake don't seem to retain any of the iTunes information if you move them to a different computer.

Just tag everything with MetaX from the start imo. You only ever need to do it once anyway and it's not worth the drama of what can happen if you don't.

I'm 110% sure. I tag all my files myself in iTunes, the only thing I need Meta-X for is movies. I have ripped dozens of discs worth of TV Shows myself and tagged every last one in iTunes. I have removed them from iTunes completely numerous times and readded them for numerous reasons and the tag information is there. I also know this because I originally converted my videos as 320x240 and tagged them, then later re-ripped and converted them to a higher-quality 640x480 and re-tagged everything in mp3Tag (it can read mp4 and AAC tags as well). I copied the tags of the 320x240 files and pasted them to the 640x480 files. This would not have been possible if the tags were only stored in the iTunes database.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.