Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It seems that there is significant underwhelment and disappointment in the iPad. I don't know that I could justify one. I certainly would like to have one but the price tag and the 3G plans still make it iffy. I would like to see AT&T bundle a plan for the iPad and iPhone. Honestly, would I be using both devices at once. Why should I pay for two separate plans. Will the offer 3G tethering finally for my iPad through my iPhone. If so then the WiFi only model would make sense.

But one thing I do see is that the iPad 1.0 is very much like the iPhone 1G. We expect more because of what we have already, but don't be surprised at how much it might improve after a revision or two, as magazine and other content publishers really have a chance to give us product, and as Apple gets the chance to see how the product performs in the hands of users and not just labs and execs. No product is a homerun from the get go.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
This tablet is supposed to compete with the netbook market, I get that

it is? doesn't seem like it to me. at all.

this is nothing like a netbook, and won't be used in the same way or for the same things.

so compete with netbooks? i just don't see that at all.

21ce

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
People need to get over the fact that the new iPad doesn't have a camera.. it's not a 'lack of a camera' .. Apple's intent with the iPad IS NOT to replace a laptop or netbook.. this device is more geared towards the Kindle with a bunch of extra options.. which also means the lack of multitasking really isn't that big of a deal.. if you want the ability to multitask or video conference than get your Macbook Pro out and use iChat at the same time as whatever other applications you're using! I think the one and only thing that people could righteously complain about is the fact that the browser does not include flash support. People have too large of expectations, this product is meant to compliment your laptop and iPhone... not to replace either of them completely. I honestly doubt they will ever put iChat or a camera in this thing unless they beef it up even closer to what a laptop offers. So holding out thinking you'll get something better in the future probably isn't a good idea. If your laptop has everything you need, and the iPad lacks things you need, then the iPad simply IS NOT FOR YOU. :cool:

Then WHO is this for? People who don't mind splurging on a useless device? And Apple did claim that netbooks were useless btw.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
N hdmi or displayport, no usb port, no flash support, no ultra thin beze

Ultra thin bezel? For what? So you could grip the apps on the screen and inadvertently launch apps? Or inadvertently activate touch-enabled elements of apps?

The bezel is where your hands go to hold it comfortably. Or would you like to hold the device between the tips of your fingers?

dmw2692004

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Better get 'em while they last.

what are you talking about? :confused::confused:

I love Apple, I really do, but I still don't understand why anyone needs this, or why LTD is literally freaking out and tell us that Apple's product is the "future" and that its "game over" it just doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I am still asking the same question why do we(the consumer/nerd/tech savy person need this device?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I watched the video. Though its well filmed and highlights important features, to me it still doesn't prove anything "magical". This is a big iPod Touch no if's ands or but's about it really.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I was hoping I could put Photoshop on it...:mad:

*hoping for a Adobe App*

Just get Adobe to write a Photoshop 'app'.
Any desktop app is going to have to be seriously rewritten/rethought to run properly on any tablet.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I love Apple, I really do, but I still don't understand why anyone needs this, or why LTD is literally freaking out and tell us that Apple's product is the "future" and that its "game over" it just doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I am still asking the same question why do we(the consumer/nerd/tech savy person need this device?

Its been said before with almost every tech release that revolutionizes a market segment. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but don't expect everyone else to not buy one because you can't figure it out.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
After watching the demo videos, I really want to like this. But I just don't. It seems half-finished. Why couldn't they have gone the extra step and made it a more fully-functioning device. I would have paid double the iPad's price for a more laptop-like experience. What it does, it does well. But what it does also seems fairly limited.

Apple waded into this market; I wanted them to dive head-first.

marita

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I preface this with that I'm an apple fangirl. The iPad is a stunning fail! The more information that comes out, the more disappointing this is thing is. Hopefully new macbooks are coming. :mad:

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
See the blatant similarity between the iPad and the iPhone was a huge mistake by Apple today (in my eyes).

Bottom line is that (IMO) the iPad just looks unfinished and unpolished.

You may have noticed that absolutely no one anywhere agrees with you.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Laugh. Please do. Because in a year's time counting from April 2010, things will look much, much different, in an Apple-like, everyone-has-an-iPad/wants-an-iPad kinda way.

And you know this is *exactly* what will happen.

The release has pushed me towards getting a HP Slate. I am really miffed by this.

mayer chalom

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Overpriced piece of crap

Honestly I like most of the things from apple, but right now this is the most overpriced piece of crap.

700 dollars to for a 64gb tablet come on. this is an supersized iphone. no camera (not really important for me), no flash, ethernet (ppl still use ethernet:)) no multitasking. Most importantly, it runs its own OS. I was hoping for a mini macbook that could run some photo video apps (final cut/aperture/photoshop) but it is just some piece of consumer crap. for 300 bucks more u can get a brand new macbook which is like 20x more powerful.

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I suspect the iPad–without accessories–to be extremely uncomfortable to use for more than few minutes.

mayer chalom

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
After watching the demo videos, I really want to like this. But I just don't. It seems half-finished. Why couldn't they have gone the extra step and made it a more fully-functioning device. I would have paid double the iPad's price for a more laptop-like experience. What it does, it does well. But what it does also seems fairly limited.

Apple waded into this market; I wanted them to dive head-first.

I think that the biggest issue is that it uses an iphone like os and that isn't very versatile. A snow leopard os would've been useful

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Notes...

If a developer comes out with a nice note-taking program, I'd snatch one of these up in a minute. Multitasking doesn't matter for me, but it would be nice to make handwritten annotations in class and have them available for transfer to my laptop/display setup for writing papers later.
I'm imagining all the amazing things that could be done with a .pdf app--annotate, highlight, cut/paste etc etc etc.
Sure, I already do that on my laptop, but some of that stuff is cumbersome with a mouse, and for the more theoretical diagrams, nothing beats a pen.

Save paper, have backups of all my classroom/article notes, keep all my course books on one device? If those features get added via the app store, I'm all over this thing.

21ce

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
Honestly I like most of the things from apple, but right now this is the most overpriced piece of crap.

700 dollars to for a 64gb tablet come on. this is an supersized iphone. no camera (not really important for me), no flash, ethernet (ppl still use ethernet:)) no multitasking. Most importantly, it runs its own OS. I was hoping for a mini macbook that could run some photo video apps (final cut/aperture/photoshop) but it is just some piece of consumer crap. for 300 bucks more u can get a brand new macbook which is like 20x more powerful.

exactly

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009

Because everyone copies Apple. Mark my words. HP already has a tablet rumored that looks almost exactly like an iPhone.

"Let's let Apple create so we don't have to do R&D and than rip them off."

I personally like this tablet. So far. I'm sure it'll be made better. And with iWork. I would buy a iMac and replace a Macbook with this some day. Multitasking should come, hopefully. But for a product that hasn't even shipped yet. It looks quite promising. All products have to grow and advance after release dates, especially ones like these. I have seen very few tablet computers in hospitals and they ran Win XP. The doctors were having trouble and the battery only lasted 2 or 3 hours.

It may be lacking some "Apple like" stuff but it IS good competition. I think we'll see it advanced and made better. I'm amazed by the price as well.

Also, Apple makes their own processor for this? I guess people can't claim they are just a PC company now.

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Lack of multitasking is a real pain. Hopefully this will get fixed in a software update soon.

No. This is product differentiation to ensure clear positioning and minimal cannibalisation with the notebooks.

It's the same reason there are no voice calls, GPS or camera. Those are iPhone features and will not appear in iPad.

I suppose these decisions might be reviewed, but at the moment, they have been been painstaking and brutal in their features to carve out a new niche for this product.

It works the other way too. Note the existence of a physical keyboard option. There is no reason the iPhone couldn't have had that, either bluetooth or wired. But again, it's not part of the set of "iPhone" product features. It's a pure marketing decision.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

What really bothers me is that Apple managed this response with all of the infrastructure they already have from the iPod and iPhone/Touch.

The iPod launch just had music in your pocket. This is blinding Apple sunshine top to bottom but it's still a niche product with everything else out there. You don't even have to go outside of Apple's own product catalog either.

The release has pushed me towards getting a HP Slate. I am really miffed by this.
That or a copy of Windows 7 for my MacBook.

dmw2692004

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
I honestly feel you have posted the most reasonable response yet, thank you! I understand this is a mac forum and I am a big mac fan as well, but I definitely do not want to follow BLINDLY. This tablet is supposed to compete with the netbook market, I get that, but it is far from being as capable as it should be. 499 for a giant iPod touch@ 16gb or $629! for the same thing but 3g capable. Which, unless they have greatly tweaked the 3g battery draining issue, seems very unlikely to have a 10 hour battery life. At least wonder to yourself is it worth $500 to have an internet browser...or pay a whopping 900 for the highest model when you can get a macbook pro for $200 more. If they actually sold these products at netbook prices I could understand.

They had a 1 1/2 hour + conference talking about how EXTRAORDINARY this device was, because they re-did the OS for a larger screen and because it can go on the internet. Please feel free to be upset with my response, I would not be defensive in the least bit. I just want the hype responses to subside and I really wanna know who this device is targeted towards.

+1 to the bold, thanks for the compliment too.

Its been said before with almost every tech release that revolutionizes a market segment. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but don't expect everyone else to not buy one because you can't figure it out.

I am just stating a though/trying to understand some of the massive fanaticism that is surround this. I am also wondering who/why we need this kind of device? It is a serious question not only raised by us but also by the media(engadget, cnet, techcrunch). I just wonder how this device will fit into the market if it cannot be used for any real productive means. I thought Jobs would sell us on why we needed this device, or what it could be useful or/how it could change the industry but, I think that in a sense Apple might not even be sure about the whole tablet market and what the consumer really wants from a tablet/slate computer. This is just my take. I am not attacking anyone or trying to criticize Apple.

If you want to flame, feel free.

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
For everyone who is bitching about this product I have a solution for you: buy a kindle DX for 489.00. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015TG12Q/ref=kinww_ddp

I'll take my ipad which blows your crap out of the water, thanks.

This is quite true. Though I think the iPad is totally underwhelming, in a price comparison to a $489 Kindle DX it doesn't look so bad (and wifey is right now suggesting that the Apple device looks "better value" :)). A perfect consumer report right there. I still think it's completely lacking in ambition but hey I'm probably not the demographic Apple are aiming it...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.