Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie-kook

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
verizon iphone

maybe it's been stated but will the 5s on verizon be able to simultaneously switch between voice and data, maps etc when not on a wifi network?

thx.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Its official. Safari is snappier.

30j3d51.gif

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here are impressions from Jim Dalrymple. I know he could be considered a fanboy but I've always felt he was honest in his opinions.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/09/10/hands-on-with-the-iphone-5c-and-iphone-5s/

The iPhone 5C is a gorgeous looking phone, no matter what color choose. They all feel very rugged in their construction, so you can put any thoughts of a cheap iPhone out of your mind right now. Perhaps it’s the reinforcement that Apple put inside the plastic casing or the build of the casing itself—whatever it is, the 5C is a solid phone.

Unlocking the iPhone 5S was very slick—just rest your finger on the Home button and the phone unlocks immediately. You don’t have to press or move your finger around waiting for it to be recognized—it just worked.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I thought Apple did well today. I think the 5C will appeal and sell to those who want something cheaper (the multiple colors is a definite plus).
I have a 5 and now find myself thinking of getting a 5S just because of the faster chip and the finger printing thingy...

I'm expecting bigger things when the iPhone 6 appears.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I already see all these angry posts from people who'll claim they cannot unlock their phones in cold weather, because the sensor doesn't read fingerprints through gloves :D

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I cannot wait until September 20th-that iPhone 5s will be a big update to my current iPhone 4.

Two issues that blow-no preordering for the iPhone 5s and I wish Apple would have increased the base 16 gb on the iPhone 5s to 32 gb.:(

I was hoping Apple would take the memory limits up a notch as well, bummer on that.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
No pre-orders on the 5s because there will be plenty left on the shelves!

I have never wanted to skip a version more than this one... Hope I have the willpower!

Last edited:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I think a lot of people will find it easier this year to hold out for the next model.

Can't say there is much 'wow!' factor here.

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I was going to get the 5s but after looking at the 5c, I think I'm going with that and then trading up to a 6 when it comes out.

I am same as you. With such great resale rates, I might trade my 5 in for the 5c just to have something new/fun for a year and then trade it in again for the 6. Love my 5 but trading it for the 5s won't feel too much different, besides the obvious improved speed, camera, etc, but looks-wise, the 5c could be fun for a year.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Sounds like I am in the minority, but I am very much looking forward to getting the 5S. Coming from a 4 currently this is going to be a huge upgrade for me.

I'm right there with you. My 4 has served me well these 3 years, but it's time to move on.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
How much did samsung pay to run a GS4 ad on a new iphone video? Lol

There was an update to the iOS game Color Zen the other day where they offered 120 new levels for the next ten days. Guess what, Samsung plastered an ad for the Note III in it. LOL!

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Really disappointing there are still multiple models for the different LTE bands. (www.apple.com/iPhone/LTE.) So much for my plan of buying one in the US

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010

Because in many online surveys, about 70% of the people indicate that they want a screen bigger than 4" on the iPhone (Personally, that's why I'm not upgrading from iPhone 4 either, I'm waiting for the 6). Now, many people are perfectly happy with the current size due to its portability benefit or their hand size. But it would be better to have screen size options (something like 4.5 inches) just like how the Macbook Pros have different screen size options. Believe me, many people move to Android just because of the screen size. Ask yourself, why do people use iPad or iPad mini? Because of the big screen size. A bigger screen means you can do more things, developers can make better use of the screen estate, etc... Why did Apple release iPad mini? For more choice.

A little bit of choice is always better. With choice, its easier to find the sweet spot for yourself. Now, iPhone 5C is giving us choice, but unfortunately, it doesn't deserve the price it is at and it's basically an iPhone 5.

Sometimes I think Apple knows they should have released an iPhone with a bigger screen size this year (along with the current 4" 5S) but it seems they're almost afraid that they won't be able to make something much better next year. So they're leaving the screen size for the iPhone 6 next year, which maybe the single most important feature of the iPhone 6 (also, a bigger screen would allow more room for battery, NFC, bigger camera sensor, thinner design, smaller bezels, etc...)

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
I think a lot of people will find it easier this year to hold out for the next model.

Can't say there is much 'wow!' factor here.

iPhone 3GS was an incremental improvement over iPhone 3G.
iPhone 4S was an incremental improvement over iPhone 4.

Why are people surprised that iPhone 5s is an incremental improvement over iPhone 5?

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
Great

You know what, both phones are just great and I'm glad Apple is so successful in the iToy market. But I'm afraid the time has come for Apple to sell off the Macintosh division.

I understand computers are no longer the important money maker to Apple that they once were, but, IMHO, they are neglecting the Mac line.

Many of us have been loyal Mac users for many years and depend on these machines for our livelihood. An update every 18 month or 2 years (or more) is unacceptable. If Apple doesn't want the Mac business anymore because there is more money to be made in toys, that's fine - and I'm not saying that I even blame them. But they aren't getting the support and attention that they (and us, the end users) deserve.

I'd love to see Apple spin off "Macintosh, Inc" to a group who can help the Mac continue to evolve because right now, it's stagnate....

I know this post isn't going to be popular - - - JMO

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Why can't Apple make the back in just 1 color instead of the two tone. I never liked the color difference there with the top and bottom being different than the whole back. Those color lines are also visible on the sides of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.