Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
this is dumb as hell.

People should be grateful Apple is making emojis, bubble effects and stickers a priority
and putting unimportant stuff in cold storage.

27084254294_150fff26bb_b.jpg

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Which isn't that much different to you talking to someone on the phone and them playing music in the background or making sounds and being annoying in one way or another. Or someone sending a constant stream of "funny"/"spammy" chain mails to you. Or many other similar things. Basically the underlying/real "issue" there is the other person and what they are doing.

I can deal with that, but that doesn’t mean that Apple should provide tools to facilitate annoying behaviour and provide no simple solution to at least tone it down. It can create unnecessary confrontation. I will be greatly disappointed if there is no option to reduce the effects. I don’t understand how Apple can do this to people with a disability either, some people are actually sensitive to this kind of visual noise.

Reactions: Porco

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They're not the future. They're the current embarrassingly tacky trend. This rubbish demonstrates that Apple is no longer skating to where the puck will be. They're skating to where the puck was yesterday. Sad.
Or basically where it is, as is realistic.
[doublepost=1466030298][/doublepost]
I can deal with that, but that doesn’t mean that Apple should provide tools to facilitate annoying behaviour and provide no simple solution to at least tone it down. It can create unnecessary confrontation. I will be greatly disappointed if there is no option to reduce the effects. I don’t understand how Apple can do this to people with a disability either, some people are actually sensitive to this kind of visual noise.
Well, blocking or ignoring, same as it is for annoying callers, email senders, etc.

(I guess I should add that I'm not against for additional controls to be present to turn various optional things like that off, and would end up using them myself more than likely. What I'm mostly talking about is that I can see why controls like that wouldn't really be provided.)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Well, blocking or ignoring

Don’t you think that this is a bit excessive? I’m sorry, but I find these excuses pathetic. I expect Apple to see reason before this drops. I just cannot imagine that they would do this without providing some options.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I see your point, but I don't think it would work that way. Why would I buy a 900 dollar iPhone when I can buy a 350 dollar Nexus device and get the same messaging experience?
A great and appealing messaging experience (also in comparison to the rest of the system) will attract people to switch or at least to try out the iPhone.
I see your point also, but I'm sure in the end Apple will only win and get more users. This new Messages app on Android will be like a free, rich, interactive and daily ad for Apple.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don’t you think that this is a bit excessive? I’m sorry, but I find these excuses pathetic. I expect Apple to see reason before this drops. I just cannot imagine that they would do this without providing some options.
Well, what options are there for someone who keeps on calling and/or being annoying on calls in one way or another, or forwarding every chain email, or anything like that? Seems like the same type of "controls" of that essentially.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dear Apple,
Please focus on battery life, not emoji.
Thanks.
I'm getting the feeling that the team that focused on emoji or messenger would likely be different than one that would focus on something like battery life, so one wouldn't get in the way of the other.
[doublepost=1466031212][/doublepost]
Apple used to be a computer company...
Apple used to be a cellphone company...
Apple is now a Text Messaging Company
It's called a technology company essentially.

Reactions: Kfc179

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
So Apple are the richest company in the world. Can they not invent something good for mankind like something that will stop Fukushima nuclear plant from leaking and poisoning the planet? Seriously this would be a little more deep than all of the shallow absolute rubbish like this and Siri that they never stop talking about! Seriously, come on people. Wake up!

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Glad they are expanding and improving Messages, but to be honest a lot of this seems like overkill and too cutesy. Don't necessarily want my phone to turn into a GameBoy.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
This mentality is why the guy who runs snapchat is rolling in mountains of money while you're here complaining about how dumb his type of product is.

No kidding. That's the first thing I thought of Monday. They are making a strong push to appeal to a younger demographic. Plus, aren't emoji more popular in Asia?

How many times did they mention China in that keynote?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexyoe

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So Apple are the richest company in the world. Can they not invent something good for mankind like something that will stop Fukushima nuclear plant from leaking and poisoning the planet? Seriously this would be a little more deep than all of the shallow absolute rubbish like this and Siri that they never stop talking about! Seriously, come on people. Wake up!
It's not like they've been doing a lot in relation to the medical research community or anything like that, right?

I mean Starbucks is a rich company and they are just doing shallow caffeinated drinks mostly, that's clearly an outrage as they should be spending their time trying to figure out how to solve world hunger and all that, right?
[doublepost=1466031748][/doublepost]
No kidding. That's the first thing I thought of Monday. They are making a strong push to appeal to a younger demographic. Plus, aren't emoji more popular in Asia?

How many times did they mention Chine in that keynote?
And plenty older people and those outside of Asia as well.

Reactions: sinsin07

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I just don't care about emojis and all kinds of bobbles and jingles on my messages. Has everyone become a little girl all of a sudden?

I don't either - although camera and sketch are nice - but just because we don't like it doesn't mean the majority or the target demographic feel the same way.

We, people who post on a mac rumors forum, are in a VERY small minority.

Reactions: CarlJ and Alexyoe

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
I do not see how this is a problem. If you do not use it, chances are that many people that you know are not going to use it either. And on the few occasions that you receive some of the annoying stuff, nothing is stopping you from telling the sender to stop doing so.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
It's not like they've been doing a lot in relation to the medical research community or anything like that, right?

I mean Starbucks is a rich company and they are just doing shallow caffeinated drinks mostly, that's clearly an outrage as they should be spending their time trying to figure out how to solve world hunger and all that, right?
[doublepost=1466031748][/doublepost]
And plenty older people and those outside of Asia as well.

Oh there are, but it's clear where they are making a big push -between China and India you're talking nearly say, conservatively, not counting kids and poverty stricken folks, 1 BILLION possible phone buyers maybe?

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
This new messages app will cause baby boomers and others to deflect from using the app
Not this Baby Boomer. I mean, most of us regularly message our peers. So, presumably, your regular chat group will eschew these add-ons and, like you, will prefer to keep things quiet and streamlined. I, myself, will be sticking with the usual, and likely so will those I chat with. But I do appreciate being able to give some important message more personality than just an emoji, when needed. And I'm especially happy that this message app will now find the emojis I want to send, and allow me to actually see the ones I get sent. Also that it will let me send a quick "thumbs up" or down or heart in response rather than, again, having to look for those emojis. :D

But perhaps I should ask straight out: how likely is it that you will be regularly exchanging messages with those likely to overuse all these bells and whistles to your considerable annoyance? And exactly why wouldn't you be able to tell the contacts not to use such bells and whistles when conversing with you?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
A text messaging app with features stuck in the apple universe is pretty much missing the whole point.

Why would anyone using snapchat with their friends switch over to this?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
what if you have a phone that doesn't have 3d touch? these features are just unavailable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.