Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't get why companies spend shareholder dollars on this stuff. Let's stay focused on quality, innovation, and shareholder return. This stuff supports none of this in my opinion.

Still.... whatever. I guess I survive through all this tom-foolery for one day.

----------

yes - you are the only one.

No, I kinda agree.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Unfortunately this Amazon dash button isn't a joke.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ou-to-place-product-buttons-around-your-home/

9ijBpOx.jpg

Just what the world needs....branded plastic buttons all over people's homes. I'm sure the conglomerates love this. Shopping experience driven by brand loyalty with no price comparisons. Is this really what the world has come to - branded buttons you push every time you run out of something?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I don't get why companies spend shareholder dollars on this stuff. Let's stay focused on quality, innovation, and shareholder return. This stuff supports none of this in my opinion.

It supports marketing, makes the company look "fun" and "enjoyable". Plus, if the prank/joke is decent, the company's name/logo will be reported on thousands of websites.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
The "Selfie Shoe" would have been wildly popular in Massachusetts. Two years ago a Massachusetts court concluded that up-skirt photos and videos were not illegal in Massachusetts. The state legislature quickly amended their criminal statutes.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

It does to me.

It's free advertising for said companies. And it makes companies appear more human and real. For example, Apple doesn't ever seem to do it. It makes Apple appear more stodgy or impersonal.

Google does it, and seems like more of a fun company.

This matters when people choose products to buy. The 'fun' company or the 'just-business' company. Of course, the products it sells makes a difference too. I don't mind Wal-Mart with an ad, but a company like Tylenol - I don't want them goofing off - I would less trust their medicine.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
It supports marketing, makes the company look "fun" and "enjoyable". Plus, if the prank/joke is decent, the company's name/logo will be reported on thousands of websites.

Plus with all the crap that is out there the other 364 days of the year, it's nice to have 1 day when everyone can just lighten up and have a little fun.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Over at http://www.macintouch.com, readers there have been debating the use and abuse of Neue Helvetica as Apple's system font, most complaining about its lack of legibility in small screen sizes and light weights; how it is designed for retina displays using only Yosemite, etc.

So today's http://www.macintouch.com web page replaces your usual browser typeface of choice with … Neue Helvetica, just to drive a point home about legibility and readability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.