Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

April 1 is here again, and as with every April Fools' Day that comes around, readers should be on the alert for hoaxes and claims at both news and rumor sites.

As tradition would have it, plenty of today's pranks involve Apple and tech. Here are a few of the more intriguing ones that are making the rounds so far today. Bear in mind that some of the hoaxes may be NSFW, so after-office viewing or headphone donning may be the safest option.

SpatiaFlight

Moshi launches SpatiaFlight, the next generation of AirPlay.

T-Mobile #BingeOnUp Service

T-Mobile are offering Binge On Up!, a truly mobile binge-watching experience free to all their customers.

Google Cardboard Plastic

Google announces Cardboard Plastic, for the ultimate immersive "AR" experience.

Other Pranks and Hoaxes

Autonomous RV - World's first self-driving trailer van
Virgin America - Introducing the airline's dubious new logo
Product Hunt - Product Hunt acquires Yahoo in all-stock deal
Mark for H&M - Mark Zuckerberg exclusive fashion collection
Lexus V-LCRO - Revolutionary human-machine interface for tackling hard corners
Android Developer Story - The Guardian goes galactic with Google Play

This post will be updated throughout April Fools' Day with the latest pranks and hoaxes.

Article Link: Happy April Fools' Day 2016: SpatiaFlight AirPlay, Google Cardboard Plastic and More

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How about Apple announces for the 1st time, their High End Gaming Computer for the enthusiast.

iGamePro

Skylake Core i7-6700K CPU
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Graphics
512GB SSD
16 GB RAM

SSD Drive and Memory upgrade options.

Please :)

We all just know such a device would set the gaming world on fire, and be amazingly popular.
People have been waiting for such a thing for years.....

Reactions: ShootingStarPho

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Microsoft seem to have gone pretty big on April Fools this year too, they've announced that SQL Server is going to be ported to Linux, they're partnering with Canonical to bring a Linux subsystem with Bash to Windows 10, and they're going to be including a tool with Visual Studio to help developers compile apps for iOS and Android!

Oh wait...seems that's actually real news...

sp00kyelectric

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Samsung's is here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxy-ltd/

Can't help feeling there's a dig at the iPhone SE in this: The name is Ltd (for Limited Edition) and at the end when they reveal it's an April Fool's they say "We wouldn't re-release an old phone"...
[doublepost=1459504778][/doublepost]Ah yes... the days when Samsung used to design their own phones!!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
April mop should be erased from calendar. It's getting old.

Apple released cheap $399 iphone for mexicans, named iPhone ESE. Turned out to be true though. I though it was apple's april mop trick.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Samsung's is here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxy-ltd/

Can't help feeling there's a dig at the iPhone SE in this: The name is Ltd (for Limited Edition) and at the end when they reveal it's an April Fool's they say "We wouldn't re-release an old phone"...

It's quite witty actually. I've just seen their own SE. Their A Series I believe. Completely different styling to the flagship S7 but quite impressive and feature laden nonetheless. Clearly they've spent a while composing that advert without inferring Apple's own recent retrograde step with their "Old Is New" dig. I wonder how long it'll stay up or be removed tomorrow. April. Fool technically ends at midday. Ah but then on whose time zone?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've just seen their own SE. Their A Series I believe. Completely different styling to the flagship S7 but quite impressive and feature laden nonetheless.

Samsung still can't seem to make a small and powerful phone.

I'll give Samsung credit for coming up with a "new" design for the A-series... but it's still big. It's much too big to be considered a one-handed phone.

And how fast is the Snapdragon 410 anyway? Wasn't it designed for low-end phones? (yes)

If the Galaxy A3 was supposed to compete against the iPhone SE... Samsung completely missed the mark. But why did we really expect? Samsung released it a few months before they saw the iPhone SE :)

1MxKbFY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I guess this is the right thread to talk about the improved battery size on iPhone 7

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Samsung still can't seem to make a small and powerful phone.

I'll give Samsung credit for coming up with a "new" design for the A-series... but it's still big. It's much too big to be considered a one-handed phone.

And how fast is the Snapdragon 410 anyway? Wasn't it designed for low-end phones? (yes)

If the Galaxy A3 was supposed to compete against the iPhone SE... Samsung completely missed the mark. But why did we really expect? Samsung released it a few months before they saw the iPhone SE :)

1MxKbFY.jpg

As old as (some people are claiming) April Fools Day jokes are here, nothing is older than people like you who just can't help themselves in creating some sort of negative spin on Apple vs. Samsung models for no good reason. This thread is about April Fools jokes, not about how everything Apple makes is perfect in comparison to some random Samsung product.

FWIW, the TMobile ad was pretty funny to me and for me, April Fools Day ads are much funnier than Super Bowl ads have become.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.