Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadthree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
My iMac G3/733 broke down, and the repair shop said it has a bad motherboard which is too expensive to replace. My need is to get the files out of the harddisc. I have another iMac, G3/333. The repair guy says he can download the files to the G3/333, for a fee of course. The harddisc on the G3/333 is 6 GB, with about of 2 GB of free space. I can free up some more space. In any case the G3/333 harddisc is not enough to hold all the download from the G3/733. Any suggestions to what is the best way to save the files from my broken G3/733. Can the harddisc be removed from the G3/733 and hooked up to the G3/333 for downloading? Thanks!

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
maybe buy an external case (40 or so) for your HD then you could use your files where ever

dadthree said:
My iMac G3/733 broke down, and the repair shop said it has a bad motherboard which is too expensive to replace. My need is to get the files out of the harddisc. I have another iMac, G3/333. The repair guy says he can download the files to the G3/333, for a fee of course. The harddisc on the G3/333 is 6 GB, with about of 2 GB of free space. I can free up some more space. In any case the G3/333 harddisc is not enough to hold all the download from the G3/733. Any suggestions to what is the best way to save the files from my broken G3/733. Can the harddisc be removed from the G3/733 and hooked up to the G3/333 for downloading? Thanks!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
thehuncamunca said:
maybe buy an external case (40 or so) for your HD then you could use your files where ever

Yep, when my G4 died, i took the 60 gig drive out, popped it into a FireWire case (they were more expensive then, about $100) and plugged it in. Now I have my internal 12 gig, and a 60 gig drive for whatever I want. Didn't have to worry about compressing everything into one drive, and I have the benefit of multiple drives (and partitions) to keep everything tidy.

For the record, if you paid to have this done, they would simply put the drive in a FireWire case, copy everything over, and reuse the case for the next guy. This way, you're doing exactly the same thing, but can keep it.

paul

dadthree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
thehuncamunca said:

Thanks for the response. Is this process reasonably easy to do? Where would I get the external case, and is the process simply getting the hard disk out and prop it into the case?

dadthree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
I have the same questions as for the previous writer.

"Thanks for the response. Is this process reasonably easy to do? Where would I get the external case, and is the process simply getting the hard disk out and prop it into the case?"

Do I plug the hard disk in the new case into the usb slot or where?

Thanks!

paulwhannel said:
Yep, when my G4 died, i took the 60 gig drive out, popped it into a FireWire case (they were more expensive then, about $100) and plugged it in. Now I have my internal 12 gig, and a 60 gig drive for whatever I want. Didn't have to worry about compressing everything into one drive, and I have the benefit of multiple drives (and partitions) to keep everything tidy.

For the record, if you paid to have this done, they would simply put the drive in a FireWire case, copy everything over, and reuse the case for the next guy. This way, you're doing exactly the same thing, but can keep it.

paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.