Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Whats a good one?

I head iDefrag is good but I was hoping there might be a free one that can do not only HFS+ but maybe even FAT32.

Many people think defragmentation is not needed with OS X but their wrong, just look it up on the internet, many sites document is has worse issues with fragmentation than Windows does.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Thanks but it didn't entirely answer my question, theres just a lot of bickering about whether or not its useful to defragment, from my experience it is, all I really wanted to know was is there a good app thats free?

If not, no big deal, I'll go buy iDefrag.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The only free one is built into Mac OS X version 10.3 and above.

The people who think that defragementing HFS+ volumes is more necessary than FAT32 don't know how things work apparently. We've gone over this in these forums again and again. Since the original HFS in 1985, Macs have been fragmentation resistant and you'll spend more time defragmenting than the speed increase you'll receive. I know, I've done it. Of course, you would have seen that already in that thread, right?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
its hard to say, if a user frequently in a cycle of downloading big stuff, burning the file to DVD, then the disk is always like "near full->empty->near full again->empty......", Im not sure if that meets apple's description of "no need for defrag"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.