Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Hi guys, I have this weird thing with my MBP.

Whenever the MBP is loading something or doing heavy work, I can hear a clear "taptaptap" sound coming from the hard drive. I think it's the hard drive, anyway, because it always happens when something's loading or the hard drive is being written to. It also seems to happen when something "new" is happening - for instance, someone logs on in Adium (though for this, I imagine the hard drive is loading something for Growl notifications) or I launch Dashboard (loading widgets?). For the sound, imagine someone tapping their fingers on a table quickly, just more high-pitched. The sound reminds me of old computers with noisy hard drives.

Is this a normal sound or is something wrong with my hard drive?

Thanks,
tgl

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Check Disk Utility to both verify the disk and to see whether the SMART status is verified. I think it's probably a normal sound, but check these anyway. :)

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
mad jew said:
Check Disk Utility to both verify the disk and to see whether the SMART status is verified. I think it's probably a normal sound, but check these anyway. :)
How did I know Mad jew would respond immediately? :)

Both those passed... but... have you ever heard a laptop make that kind of sound?

I've never.

I have to take my MBP in to the Apple Store to get a bad logic board fixed there, so should I ask about it or just let it be?

It's not like it's tormenting or anything... it's just annoying and ruins the whole "Mac experience" and I'm paranoid that something might be wrong. :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My iBook's generally pretty quiet. I guess it can't hurt to hear what the geniuses have to say about it, if you'll be talking to them anyway. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.