Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neffedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
New England
Soooo my iBook crapped out on me and I just need to save what was on my hard drive.

Someone had suggested that I buy an external hard drive case on eBay and just put my hard drive in it. I just wanted to know, though, are iBook hard drives usually 2.5 inch wide, 9.5mm high?

And for the whole thing to work I would just need to remove the hard drive from my iBook and put it into the casing? Is it extremely difficult to remove hard drives?

Thanks for any replies!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, if the iBook's dead, and all you want to do is salvage the HD, without really putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, it shouldn't be too hard... ;) Most USB/USB2/FireWire/Combo 2.5" enclosures should work just fine, since, as you suspected, all iBook HDs are standard 2.5" 9.5mm IDE HDs.

Which iBook was it? If it's the 12" G4, then this (3.6 MB) might help... for older models, well, it shouldn't be that different really (again, especially if you're not trying to put it back together afterwards).

On the other hand you could sell the rest for spare parts if you don't destroy it completely, let's say the screen is still good, there might be some demand for that, same with RAM, battery, power supply, etc. ;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
iBooks are a real pain to take apart and put back together. You pretty much have to disassemble the whole thing to install a hard drive. But I've done it on both a clamshell and a G4, and as long as you keep track of all the parts, you should be able to do it too.

neffedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
New England
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the replies and advice! My iBook is/was an older G3 (700 mhz). I was thinking about selling the rest of the iBook after I took out the hard drive. The screen works fine as well as the battery and it has other accessories that don't seem to have been damaged. I just don't have the time to figure out what is really wrong and get it fixed... so, if anyone's interested... maybe I'll post on the F/S forum or something. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.