Hard drive unable to format/erase/partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by platan0, Sep 4, 2008.

1. platan0 macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2008
    Here's the scenario:

I manually shut down my mac pro after some smoke came out of a hard drive i recently tried to attach. I removed the smokey hard drive and tried to boot up my mac pro as normal and it couldn't find the start up disc.

The 3 working drives i have inside all work (tested them in a separate machine) except for my 1 terabyte main drive (go figure!)

I currently have it attached internally to a G4 machine which doesn't recognize it at all. here's what disc utility reads off it:
    what i sense is the problem is the Total Capacity: 0 Bytes. I can't erase or partition the drive. I'm trying to format it so it can have a directory so i can use a data recovery program to obtain the lost files.

If anyone has any idea how i can format this drive or have it be able to be recognized in any way, please let me know.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    Have you tried to start-up from an OS X DVD/CD, and use DU from there ? Or possibly try a repair app like DiskWarrior, TechToolPro etc........

If it sees the disk it can most likely format it......ymmv though :p good luck
  3. platan0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2008
    disk warrior couldn't do squat. It listed it as a blank name and couldnt target it for graphing.

I'm downloading techtools right now and i'll give it a try next. I'll also try booting from the disc to see if it does anything, but it's not the main drive so i dont see why booting from my startup drive would be an issue to run disk utility.