Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I plan to buy a budget price used Mac that supports the current version of macOS. I only need it to test a website, so for running browsers with different configurations in Preferences.
I was looking at an entry level Late 2014 Mac Mini with 4GB 1.4GHz 500GB. I have seen threads that suggest these may be too underpowered to be of any use with the latest version of macOS, even though it's officially supported.
I would appreciate feedback from any users that have some experience or knowledge of this configuration and if necessary a suggestion of the realistic minimum spec necessary to run Monteray (and ideally macOS 13 if the Late 2014 is still supported then).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The main problem with that mac mini will be its 500GB hard drive. These days, you need an SSD. If you are crafty enough, plan to at least replace the hard-drive with an SSD. That alone will improve performance by a lot.

Second would be RAM. 4GB doesn't do anyone any good nowadays. Plan for at least upgrading the RAM to 8GB.

I have a base 2012 mac mini (dual core i5), and I upgraded it to 8GB RAM and SSD. It maxes out on Catalina for OS support, but I doubt the performance would differ greatly. Overall, it's okay, but it can be put to its knees when there's a process taking up the CPU (since it's only dual core).

Realistically, I would think a quad-core CPU, 8GB RAM, and SSD, are the minimum for today.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do not, DO NOT, DO NOT buy a 2014 Mini with 4gb of RAM.

4gb RAM is NOT ENOUGH to run the latest versions of the OS, and it IS NOT upgradeable.

You shouldn't be buying ANY 2014 Mini now.
2018 "at the oldest"...

Reactions: now i see it

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I only need it to test a website, so for running browsers with different configurations in Preferences.

Taking you at your word here... I think the base 1.4ghz/4gb 2014 Mini would be fine for that, unless there's something special about your site. I have one of these and also a 2.8ghz/8gb 2014 Mini. The 1.4ghz is definitely a poor performer however the slow (5400rpm) 500gb hard drive is probably the main culprit unless you are doing something RAM-intensive.

The internal SSD performs around 700 to 800 MB/sec and that can probably handle a moderate amount of swapping without being too noticeable. There are a number of reports from users who have upgraded these Mini's to internal SSD's and been happy with the upgrade. So you could always try using the stock 500gb hard drive and upgrade to a small internal SSD if you don't like the performance. For what you describe, 128gb would probably be plenty. If you get the right kind of SSD, the upgrade is very easy - see the OWC video.

Anyway, I definitely would not recommend the 2014 1.4ghz Mini for general usage (and in fact, I no longer use mine) But for a special purpose like yours, seems like it would be fine. Of course, I wouldn't pay very much for one of these. Have not looked at used prices but would guess something like $150 might be appropriate. When Apple discontinued these, B&H Photo was blowing them out for $350 new, with warranty. So, a used one in 2022 should be a LOT cheaper than that.

But like they say, "caveat emptor", so do your own due diligence on compatibility. But IMO, you shouldn't need a quad-core CPU and 8gb RAM just to test a website. OTOH, I don't have any Macs running Monterey (Catalina is as high as I go), so maybe there's some reason not to put it on the base 2014 Mini.

If you haven't already found this, here's Apple's list of Macs that are compatible with Monterey.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
4 GB of RAM is simply not enough in a standard computer today, sorry. You will quickly hit a brick wall, even when surfing the web or watching YouTube videos.

Look for 1.4 GHz or 2.6 GHz model with 8 GB RAM. You will also need to replace the internal HDD or use an external SSD if you don't want to die waiting for the applications and OS to run.

4812866.jpg

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You will quickly hit a brick wall, even when surfing the web or watching YouTube videos.

I agree with this. But read the OP: he does not want to surf the web, watch YouTube videos or run apps. He only wants to test one website. Seems to me the base Mini would be able to do that. Of course, a faster CPU and more RAM is better - no argument there. But he is looking for the cheapest machine for his limited uses.

Reactions: opeter

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
If you just need to test a website with a few browsers, then absolutely, it will be fine.

if you Also want to test said website in 5 years, get an M1 machine instead, simply because said machine will not be able to run the latest browsers.

Reactions: Boyd01

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I agree with this. But read the OP: he does not want to surf the web, watch YouTube videos or run apps. He only wants to test one website. Seems to me the base Mini would be able to do that. Of course, a faster CPU and more RAM is better - no argument there. But he is looking for the cheapest machine for his limited uses.
Sorry, I didnt see that sentence. Than it is all right, OP, go for it!

Reactions: Boyd01

stayupforever909

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Stockholm

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I don't know.... if you need to do testing over an extended period of time, $85/month from that site is going to add up quickly. A used 2014 base Mini is pretty worthless for normal use and I'm assuming you might find one for $100 to $150. I sure wouldn't pay anymore than that. But I have no idea what the market is and what unreasonable expectations sellers might have.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If you need the Mac mini for a longer period of time, and need something that can officially run Monterey, you may as well spend the extra $20 or whatever to get the 8 GB 2014 Mac mini instead of the 4 GB model, and either get one which already has an SSD, or else add your own NVMe SSD, which would be $30-40 + $13 adapter.

I see on eBay you can get the 2014 Mac mini with 8 GB 2.6 GHz i5 and 256 GB SSD for just $175 with free shipping. (I believe that's roughly the cost of a 2 month rental of an M1 Mac mini.)

Such a machine is quite useful for general surfing and business applications. I'm typing on one right now (see signature), as it's my main work machine at the moment (until the M2 / Mx Pro models come out).

BTW, I'm optimistic the 2014 Mac mini may even get macOS 13 this fall, although I wouldn't bet my life on that.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
BTW, I'm optimistic the 2014 Mac mini may even get macOS 13 this fall, although I wouldn't bet my life on that.
Apple support devices for a maximum of 7 years, so I doubt.

I think the last macOS to officially support the 2014 Mac mini is macOS 12 Monterey.
Of course Apple could surprise us, I wouldn't mind.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple support devices for a maximum of 7 years, so I doubt.

I think the last macOS to officially support the 2014 Mac mini is macOS 12 Monterey.
Of course Apple could surprise us, I wouldn't mind.
Remember, the 2014 Mac mini was discontinued in 2018. AFAIK, Apple has supported all recent Macs for at least 5 years after the discontinuation date, plus another couple of years after that for Safari updates and security updates.

Also remember that Apple has continued to support the 2013 Mac Pro, even though that was from almost 9 years ago, the reason being it wasn't discontinued until 2019.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Maybe it would be worth investing a little bit more into an M1 mini? That's the future of the platform, and it will serve for years to come. All Intel machines are now on the way out, it's possible they will all no longer be supported by 2025 or so.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe it would be worth investing a little bit more into an M1 mini? That's the future of the platform, and it will serve for years to come. All Intel machines are now on the way out, it's possible they will all no longer be supported by 2025 or so.
Buy a new M1 just to test one website? That seems rather excessive. Also, it's 1.6 years old already. It's gonna get updated sooner rather than later, although supply chain delays may be holding things up somewhat.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
The late 2014 Mac Mini the oldest model that can still run Monterey. You may not even able to update to the latest OS this year or next. There's no sense in buying a Mac that old with the way Apple fizzles out older hardware.

4 GB is also unusable garbage with the latest OS.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Buy a new M1 just to test one website? That seems rather excessive. Also, it's 1.6 years old already. It's gonna get updated sooner rather than later, although supply chain delays may be holding things up somewhat.
New M1, refurbed M1, used M1, whatever OP wants, and it's then there if they need it in the future as well.

martin2a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks to everybody that has responded to the thread.

I confirm I only need to test a website (it's ongoing) and to run the Developer Tools in browsers. What I particularly need is the latest version of Safari, and I assume it is still the case that the version of WebKit is determined by the macOS version, and not by Safari updates.

I doubt any free emulation solutions offer Developer Tools and you really need that to resolve issues.

Interesting to see that Boyd has a 1.4ghz/4gb 2014 that works (although poor performer) but not running Monterey. It would be good to hear from anyone who actually has Monterey running on one of these machines. In the UK they are about £120 on eBay.

Perhaps an 8 GB 2014 Mac mini with SSD is the better option. Would an external SSD work and cloning the existing OS onto that? I do that with my very old Mac Mini that runs Lion.

I may wait until Apple make some announcement about support for macOS 13, it may not be long now. I presume that when support stops it will be for all late 2014 and won't depend upon the specs.

For an M1 on eBay it's about £500 which is not really proportionate to the intended use.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You may have already stated this, but:
- what Mac do you have NOW?
- what OS is it running?

tphan91

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2022
It feels like OP is trolling us hard with the “only testing one website” kinda deal.

No offence, OP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.