Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The wireless performance of my 2011 Air is shockingly poor, and I have tried numerous fixes to no avail. I'm now attempting to download the 1.25GBs worth of updates I have via my 20Mb connection.

It's reading 2-3 hours on the Software Update download bar. On the iMac, I'd be looking at about 20-30 minutes download time for something of this size, maybe less.

This really is a very frustrating situation, as the computer itself is otherwise excellent. But I'm literally 2.5 metres away from my router and I find myself getting less than half the connection speed of the iMac at the same distance.

Has anyone here updated to 10.7.2 on the Air and noticed improved performance of their wireless connection speed?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
The wireless performance of my 2011 Air is shockingly poor, and I have tried numerous fixes to no avail.

I have never noticed any wifi problems on my late 2011 air. Strong connections stay up and remain up.

Maybe it is something specific on your unit ( bad antenna or card )?

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
My wifi is really strong and I'm getting 2-3 hours on the software update download bar for 10.7.2 - I think in this case it's Apple's servers being hammered by this and all the ios5 updates, not your signal.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
My wifi is really strong and I'm getting 2-3 hours on the software update download bar for 10.7.2 - I think in this case it's Apple's servers being hammered by this and all the ios5 updates, not your signal.

That would be a fair point if I wasn't otherwise experiencing very slow download speeds the rest of the time from other servers. Maybe there's some possibility of a dodgy wireless receiver.

I know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue though, it's been quite widely documented on the Apple Support Boards, and on here I believe, also.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
My MBA is perfectly capable of getting download speeds of around 600 kb/s on my home connection but since I am at work on their slow connection the update is taking around 3 hours to complete. The only Wi-Fi problems I ever have is that my MBA doesn't automatically reconnect to networks that it has remembered. I have to usually choose the network whenever I switch locations.

jellotime91

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
The wireless performance of my 2011 Air is shockingly poor, and I have tried numerous fixes to no avail. I'm now attempting to download the 1.25GBs worth of updates I have via my 20Mb connection.

It's reading 2-3 hours on the Software Update download bar. On the iMac, I'd be looking at about 20-30 minutes download time for something of this size, maybe less.

This really is a very frustrating situation, as the computer itself is otherwise excellent. But I'm literally 2.5 metres away from my router and I find myself getting less than half the connection speed of the iMac at the same distance.

Has anyone here updated to 10.7.2 on the Air and noticed improved performance of their wireless connection speed?

I can't say my Air's wireless has been this bad, but it has been a little bit dodgy. I haven't really had 10.7.2 long enough to test this.

What I have noticed though is that my audio no longer works at all -__-... Which is great, as I just bought this computer on Saturday. =/

jellotime91

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Man, that's awful! But if you only got it at the weekend, chances are they'll replace it for you.

Restarted it and the few issues I was having including audio were all fixed! :)

Wifi seems like it's going strong for me. You could get yours replaced too for the WiFi issues, as you've had it for less than a year. Just FYI.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Restarted it and the few issues I was having including audio were all fixed! :)

Wifi seems like it's going strong for me. You could get yours replaced too for the WiFi issues, as you've had it for less than a year. Just FYI.

I'd really rather hold onto it if possible, as it has a far better screen than my previous one, but if the chip really is borked and they can't replace it, I guess I'm up crap creek.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I'd really rather hold onto it if possible, as it has a far better screen than my previous one, but if the chip really is borked and they can't replace it, I guess I'm up crap creek.

Well I always have my usb ethernet cable with me just in case. If the internal wifi really is bad lots of usb wifi connectors that are pretty inexpensive.

slykens

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
10.7.2 does not appear to have fixed anything Wifi wise for me.

First, my 802.1x office network was dropping connectivity for 5-10 seconds at a time earlier today then it was fine for an hour. I had this problem a few times before with 10.7.1 as well.

Second, it will not reassociate automatically with my Airport Express network at home when it wakes from sleep. This is very frustrating as it is Apple hardware and software - but it doesn't "just work." I have to turn off then on my Wifi and it will then quickly reassociate.

Speed was never much of a problem - I can pull 25 Mbps+ through my home 802.11g/n network from Comcast.

skeevewiz

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
ever since i moved my router closer to my bedroom where i use my mac air the most - my wifi problems have pretty much gone away (i had issues with signal drop for minutes on end, slow slow speeds intermittently, and lose wifi on wakeup)...i really think its an issue with distance from your router - so whatever the cause is in the laptop - driver or antenna wise or whatever. i was able to get the update in 3-4 minutes.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I reset all my network settings, removed the security password from my router, made an access list, and hid the SSID, and that's fixed it. Quite a lot of hassle just get it in line with the iMac, but at least it's doing it now!

Blue Jakester

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
10.7.2 has messed up my 2011 iMac 27. It no longer wakes from sleep properly. The WiFi is completely disconnected and it may be necessary to reboot to correct.

Yesterday I tapped a key to wake from sleep and the iMac rebooted itself! It was sleeping and waking fine before 10.7.2 :mad:

chickendinner

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
same problem with macbook air airport

I'm having the exact same problem with my macbook air 2011. Eversince they have changed the display because there was a vertical purple line in it, the internet has been extremely slow. I've been back to the store. They supposedly tested it but told me that everything was fine. i've been having this issue a while now it's extremely annoying. However when I put the macbook next to the router the speed is ok. but still not what it used to be. I updated it to 10.7.2 and it didn't do anything for me. I've tried every thing I could but I ran out of idea's is there something physically wrong with the airport or is there a bug in the system? Another strange thing is that my iMac all of a sudden runs as slow when I start up my macbook air while in the same room.

What should I do? Please help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.