Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sugarW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster....

Has anybody got a 'dusty' looking or (for want of a better term) 'grainy' display? I received my new Apple Cinema Display (20'') yesterday and my eyes were instantly drawn to what I thought was dust on the screen. I know there has been talk of the grainy displays on the MB Pro's, but not much directly related to the Cinema Displays. Is this a problem or fault with this display? Also I ordered this display only last week and I notice that it is not the latest model with the 700:1 contrast ratio, which makes no difference to me but if it was the newest version would it be a better screen, and has Apple ripped me off?

The display is running as the primary on a C2D MB Pro (without grainy display!)

Any help much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my post. (As boring as it is!)

All the best.

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
By dusty or grainy, do you mean matte display? If so, that is how the Cinema displays ship––they do not offer a glossy display option for the stand alone displays. However, if you mean the surface actually looks dusty, and not pristine, then I'd get on the phone with Apple pronto. In fact, if you believe that you received a model other than the latest model, contact Apple and get them to send you what you purchased in the first place: a new Cinema Display.

I hope this is useful, good luck!.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Yes- I've got three and have seen many. That's the anti-glare coating. If you are coming from a CRT, it is quite noticeable. But you will get used to it.

sugarW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually ditched the CRT a long while back and I'm comparing the ACD with my 17'' MBP's screen (matte) which shows very little sign of 'grainy-ness'. Like I say I didn't know if this was the norm with the ACD's, as it makes bright colours look like they have a fine noise filter applied.
As for it being the latest model - the part number is the same as the ones on sale at the Apple store (UK) but the store units are the latest spec, so don't know whats going on there.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.