Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I just found out about this... and I was wondering if anyone bought a terrapass. If you don't know what they are the link is here http://www.terrapass.com/index.html Basically you buy a package for your fuel economy and that money is invested into alternative fuel projects. Those projects in turn prevent extra CO2 from entering the atmosphere, projects you help fund, making up for what you added. I would have to get the $39.95 one (my civic is rated at 28, but with my driving i've gotten 32-34 mpg).

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Terrapass - the theory behind them is interesting. The solution they provide is naive and a copout IMO. A few guilty people pay so that the pollution their car makes is cleaned up? Better to put your time towards getting facts about the environment out there.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
maxterpiece said:
Terrapass - the theory behind them is interesting. The solution they provide is naive and a copout IMO. A few guilty people pay so that the pollution their car makes is cleaned up? Better to put your time towards getting facts about the environment out there.
While your argument is sound, the fact is (nearly) everyone drives vehicles powered by fossil fuels, so although a "copout," education will only help us achieve solutions which are years away (like hydrogen), this seems like a good short term "solution." I use solution liberally, as it is more of a "doing my small part" type thing. And really, for forty bucks to be able to fund alternative fuels while educating (bumper stickers have web address, which has global warming info) seems like a cool idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.