Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have the Alpine 9885. It works awesome with my iPod Nano, but my iPhone gives the dreaded airplane mode message. If in Airplane mode I can play music through my car stereo, but if not in Airplane mode the music will come out of the iPhone's built in speakers. This needs to be remedied right fast.

I have the 9885 and it wont work with Airplane mode on or off. I get music through the iPhone speakers, not the car speakers. I do get all the song/playlist information on the head unit, though.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does anyone else's cable charge thier iPhone. Mine doesn't seem to be charging when plugged in, yet it charges my iPod just fine.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hmm, maybe my connector wasn't properly seated. You get the lil lightning bolt in the battery icon? I use Pioneer equipment, but I also figured that the aftermarket manufacurers have similar (if not the same) specs when it comes to iPod related stuff. My music plays, and I can even do other things on the phone, but it doesn't appear to charge the phone.

cheborneck

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
iPhone doesn't work with Alpine sda-9885

I waited and it finally came (the iPhone that is). plugged it into the full speed cable attached via the 300bt unit. it gives you the "doesn't work with this accessory" message as described by others. say "no" and you can browse the iPhone via the deck, but the audio comes out of the iPhone and not the car unit. I called Alpine tech support and they confirmed this is a known bug. they suggest you register so you'll be informed when updates come along. all this new stuff and they couldn't work it all out before introduction. now i'm sad. :( one of the greatest decks you can buy. the greatest phone you can buy. and they dont work together! doh

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
That would be great.

So you connect it to the ipod cable and how long does it take? Do you have it on the ipod setting when you connect or do it before the car starts? Also do you select a playlist?

Sorry, just frustrating hearing some people have it working while mine isn't.

Okay this is the deck I have...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w0Pi0LqInQ1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=500CDE9852

I just put it in and I dont have to already have it on the ipod function. The window pops up and says this accessory isnt made for this ipod and asks me do i want to put it in airport mode. ...I say no and then the screen comes up that says "accessory attached". As soon as I hit NO the music begins playing then I just search for the playlist I want like I normally would.I always plug it in after I crank the car.

It appeared to be charging but I got the message my phone only had 20% battery power remaining, so either it wasnt charging or it wasnt charging fast enough to keep up with the energy spent by the ipod playing.

The music also fades out nicely when a call comes in, and promptly returns to the right spot after hanging up. No feedback issues.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have the 9885 and it wont work with Airplane mode on or off. I get music through the iPhone speakers, not the car speakers. I do get all the song/playlist information on the head unit, though.

I'm having the same problem. I get all the song info on the head unit and can even change the song, but am only getting audio from the iphone built in speaker. Really weird.

I need my tunes!!!:(

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm having the same problem. I get all the song info on the head unit and can even change the song, but am only getting audio from the iphone built in speaker. Really weird.

I need my tunes!!!:(

Very weird. The poster above has a 9852 and his works. This seems like a iPhone software bug. I can only hope its that, and not an Alpine bug...

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Very weird. The poster above has a 9852 and his works. This seems like a iPhone software bug. I can only hope its that, and not an Alpine bug...

I hope so as well, as I just dropped around $500 to get this deck installed in my car about 2 months ago...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Okay this is the deck I have...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w0Pi0LqInQ1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=500CDE9852

I just put it in and I dont have to already have it on the ipod function. The window pops up and says this accessory isnt made for this ipod and asks me do i want to put it in airport mode. ...I say no and then the screen comes up that says "accessory attached". As soon as I hit NO the music begins playing then I just search for the playlist I want like I normally would.I always plug it in after I crank the car.

It appeared to be charging but I got the message my phone only had 20% battery power remaining, so either it wasnt charging or it wasnt charging fast enough to keep up with the energy spent by the ipod playing.

The music also fades out nicely when a call comes in, and promptly returns to the right spot after hanging up. No feedback issues.

Check to see if you get the lightning bolt in your battery indicator. Mine doesn't seem to charge, and I think that may be the case for others as well.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Check to see if you get the lightning bolt in your battery indicator. Mine doesn't seem to charge, and I think that may be the case for others as well.
I get it, but I dont believe it to be charging.

I got a low battery message while it was plugged in, and when I unplugged the battery it was less juice than before when I initially put it in. Either is not charging, or its not charging fast enough to keep up with the pace of the ipod being on and powering that screen.
When I get in my car again Im going to see if I can put it in sleep mode and see if it will continue to play and operate.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Will test on my IVA-200 today. Have to call today as I still haven't got my "email" :(

It works with my Deck - its the IVA-W200 (the 7" touchscreen that came out last year). Even get the ringers through the car speakers and the music muted when a call comes in

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
For Alpine Owners / Solution for about $20 bucks

This is how I fixed my problem, a while back actually, before iPhone. I never really liked the idea of controlling my iPod via Alpine's clumsy headset.

•The solution is for Alpine headsets with the AI connector in the back.
•It allows you to connect virtually any audio device that has headphone jack/rca plugs.
•Ive been using it for over a year now and the Audio is as clean as using other methods.
•You will control your music via your iPhone/iPod instead of the deck. (Which is actually much faster / natural if you put your device on the dash with a cellphone car holder thing)
•Product number is KCM-122B and it costs around $20 online in various places
•If you need a usb charger to charge your phone I believe they sell 12V DC cigarette plugs with a USB port on the back end for less than $10 bucks at Pep Boys or other car stores or online.

KCM-122B_l.jpg

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I think not having Airplane mode on causes the iPhone to pull too much power. I think it may actually charge if you turn the screen off and put it in Airplane mode. Made for iPhone accessories should fix that for us. I too get the charging icon, my car has to be in the on position for it to come on, afterwards it shows up even in ACC.

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
This is how I fixed my problem, a while back actually, before iPhone. I never really liked the idea of controlling my iPod via Alpine's clumsy headset.

•The solution is for Alpine headsets with the AI connector in the back.
•It allows you to connect virtually any audio device that has headphone jack/rca plugs.
•Ive been using it for over a year now and the Audio is as clean as using other methods.
•You will control your music via your iPhone/iPod instead of the deck. (Which is actually much faster / natural if you put your device on the dash with a cellphone car holder thing)
•Product number is KCM-122B and it costs around $20 online in various places
•If you need a usb charger to charge your phone I believe they sell 12V DC cigarette plugs with a USB port on the back end for less than $10 bucks at Pep Boys or other car stores or online.

KCM-122B_l.jpg

This is certainly an option, but not really a "solution" to the problem. The trouble is, we paid top dollar for head units that boast full speed iPod control directly from the head unit (so we can use our remotes, the beautiful display, etc). In some cases, this might be a big part of why we chose Alpine head units.

The iPhone ups the ante even more with the possibility of automatically pausing the music for phone calls, and maybe even displaying call information on the head unit or allowing us to control calls while the iPhone is hidden away in our glove boxes. I'm looking for a truly integrated solution, not just a method of playing my music in my car. As far as I'm concerned, Alpine got it exactly right in terms of iPod integration. Now I'd just like that integration extended to the iPhone so I can sell my Nano!

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
This is certainly an option, but not really a "solution" to the problem. The trouble is, we paid top dollar for head units that boast full speed iPod control directly from the head unit (so we can use our remotes, the beautiful display, etc). In some cases, this might be a big part of why we chose Alpine head units.

The iPhone ups the ante even more with the possibility of automatically pausing the music for phone calls, and maybe even displaying call information on the head unit or allowing us to control calls while the iPhone is hidden away in our glove boxes. I'm looking for a truly integrated solution, not just a method of playing my music in my car. As far as I'm concerned, Alpine got it exactly right in terms of iPod integration. Now I'd just like that integration extended to the iPhone so I can sell my Nano!

My Alpine head unit with full speed does everything you mentioned with my Iphone so dunno what the problem is here unless you have an older gen unit you should be fine. Even pulls a charge...

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
My Alpine head unit with full speed does everything you mentioned with my Iphone so dunno what the problem is here unless you have an older gen unit you should be fine. Even pulls a charge...

Excellent! I have last year's flagship non-DVD model, the CDA-9857. Which one are you using?

Edit - perhaps I should read the thread... Thanks for the response!

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Oddly enough, my girlfriends base model for last year (the 9852 I think) plays it fine through the headunit and shows the titles and you are able to scroll.

I think the problems must be with the current year units. The 9883, 9881, 9885 and such.

When plugged into her deck, it also gave me the charging symbol, but it wasn't on airplane mode and was killing the battery life rather quickly. Didn't try it on airplane mode, but hopefully it charges/plays.

Is there even any way to update the decks so this works? How would an update even be installed into the decks if alpine made one?

Seems like we are SOL except for the aux in, but thats why I bought the ipod adaptor, for full control.

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
Is there even any way to update the decks so this works? How would an update even be installed into the decks if alpine made one?

Seems like we are SOL except for the aux in, but thats why I bought the ipod adaptor, for full control.

Technically I suppose Alpine may have produced the head units with the ability to receive firmware upgrades through CDs or DVDs, but I don't think they've ever actually done it. More likely, they'd ask us to buy a new 2008 series of head units that offer "iPhone Full Speed" connections. Ugghhh.....

I'm with you re: the full control. It is the entire reason I bought my Alpine.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I'm with you re: the full control. It is the entire reason I bought my Alpine.

Yah, I figured i'd post that option up there for those having problems getting that head unit to work at all.

a lot of people really do like the alpine unit. I kind of lean the other way. To be honest I'd rather not have a head unit there if I could get rid of it. But it serves as a pre-amp with multiple audio outs to my amps and speaker set up.

I'm actually trying to figure out a way to remove the head unit completely and create a dock in the dash, where my alpine will no longer sit. So that I can just use my iPhone as my head unit/radio.

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm actually trying to figure out a way to remove the head unit completely and create a dock in the dash, where my alpine will no longer sit. So that I can just use my iPhone as my head unit/radio.

Please post pics and instructions when you do this!

DAlba

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
I hooked up my iPhone to my alpine (IVA-D100) and it will play music through the car speakers and can be controlled from the head unit. Even cooler is the fact that when you receive a call the music will stop and resume when you hang up. Also you can here the ringer through the car speakers. I bet with the alpine Bluetooth adaptor it would work even better.

Sent from my iPhone

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know if it'll just take a software update to the iphone or some sort of update to the headunit to make the iphone work with the 9885???

I'm seriously dying having to listen to the radio...:(

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does anyone know if it'll just take a software update to the iphone or some sort of update to the headunit to make the iphone work with the 9885???

I'm seriously dying having to listen to the radio...:(

I have never known radio's to have upgradable firmware. So it stands to reason that Aplin/Pioneer/Panasonic/etc will make a new model touting iPhone support and make you upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.