Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben2e

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
Which SSD ? Any temperature issues ?

I've got a 27" iMac on the way and purchased the parts to add an SSD. I was alarmed by the number of SSD reviews by OCZ buyers in particular who had experienced failures. I sure as hell don't want to do this mod twice ! The Intel 510 and Crucial m4 are on top of my list. m4 perhaps because it's well priced. Intel also seems safe and reliable. Anyone have a bad one ? Seems as though OCZ is still searching for the right driver and if you use the drive as a boot device, you may not be able to update firmware without extracting it and of course, not an easy option in an iMac.

My first idea was to get a 120 gig sized SSD for $200 (m4 price) and just put my media on the spinning disc. Is there a best practice here ?

The 240/256 gig models do have better performance and it is tempting to just eat the extra $200 to have more headroom.

My last concern was mentioned other places, that the temperature monitoring breaks with the y-splitter (which I purchased as well). Is this still an issue ? Will I just need to use fan control software ?

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
X25 install

Did this upgrade yesterday evening, after buying my shiny new iMac 27" i5 3.1ghz.

I put in a 80gb Intel X25 alongside the existing 1TB HDD. The SSD is about a year old - it was previously in my old MacBook Pro. So it's not SATA3, but it's still fast.

Blazing fast. This thing boots in seconds, everything opens instantly (it was already pretty damn fast without it). Amazed at the system. I'm keeping bigger data - like downloads, iTunes, Aperture etc libraries on the HD. I'm using symbolic links where appropriate to transparently link the filesystems together (i.e. I still have a "Downloads" folder in my home directory, but actually it's on the HD).

Installation

Now, on to the installation itself! All I can say is intense. I'm no stranger to creating, upgrading, etcing PCs - but this was another beast altogether. I gained a new found appreciation of how Apple manage to fit all that inside the box!

I followed the ChargedPC guide linked previously. A tip I'd say is definitely make sure you label all the screws and what holes they go into (I stuck numbered bits of tape on the screws and matching holes). Also some of the connection cables can go in either way round, so mark which is the left pin etc. Particularly remember the order of the airport cables (and check they don't pop off again before you close it all up).

Hardest part was repositioning the motherboard, as everyone says. Also - cleaning the god damn LCD screen before putting it together. Wish I had a clean room lol.

I used doublesided sticky tape to fit the SSD in. Hopefully it'll hold, but it's so tightly compressed in there I'm pretty sure it couldn't move if it wanted to.

Upon closing up I noticed a very small gap between the glass and case in the top right - I think the SSD might be pushing everything forward a bit (I did a bit of a messy job of all the cabling). It's unnoticeable of course unless you specifically look at the top, so I'm fine with it.

Otherwise, all awesome!

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Xbench attached of the above config.

Disk Test 233.62
Sequential 188.06
Uncached Write 138.48 85.03 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 140.39 79.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 217.69 63.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 428.78 215.50 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 308.31
Uncached Write 410.70 43.48 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 109.26 34.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2607.27 18.48 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 997.27 185.05 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Attachments

• Benchmark w TRIM.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 254

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
How is the BTO 2011 iMac with SSD+HDD wired? I'm assuming when those parts are available it'll solve the issue of losing the temp signal from the HDD?

Niila

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Can anyone confirm that the 21" has exactly same connectors than the 27"?
Better yet, could someone give me a link where I could order all the cables needed to install second drive? Im so confused right now.. :confused:

Thank you very much!

EWDurbin

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Can anyone confirm that the 21" has exactly same connectors than the 27"?
Better yet, could someone give me a link where I could order all the cables needed to install second drive? Im so confused right now.. :confused:

Thank you very much!

You can definitely add an SSD to the 2011 21.5" iMac. I did mine saturday.

Cables are available from AppleComponents.com, but their site is down right now?

See the thread here for all the information you need. The only thing that will snag you up is the brackets for mounting the SSD. I made my own.

pixelshaders

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Seems the two sata Port is standard Slimline SATA port

Is possible to use this instead of a Y splitter power cable on the HDD?

To leave alone the 2011 imac's HDD power cable's build in temperature sensor pin. (If I'm correct?)

minisata-sata-3.JPG

ben2e

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
I'd like to know as well. Let us know if you're able to get it to work or get an answer elsewhere.

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Hi every expert,
I am pretty lost about cabling. :(
If I use y-slipter, I want to know what to do before I go further.

Please help me to check my understanding is right or not.

Before opening up my iMac 27" with 1T HDD.
The cable inside is right now:
SATA 0 (and HDD power) = empty
SATA 1 = empty
SATA 2 = using official SATA + power cable connecting to 1T HDD

After upgrading HDD (SSD as bootable drive, and 1T HDD as slave storage drive).
The cabling would be:
SATA 0 (and HDD power) = empty
SATA 1 = official cable's SATA to 1T HDD plus Official's power cable using Y-Slipt to 1T HDD and SSD's power)
SATA 2 = 3rd party 90 degree SATA3 cable plus y-split power cable.

Is the above correct?

Thanks for any help. :)

yubbie2

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Agreed with Arcadeez - a nice summary post would be nice

I'd love to see:

1) A youtube video showing the install (or at least critical parts, like removing/replacing the motherboard)

2) A parts list, with links, of verified working parts to order (including SSD mounting parts)

3) Diagram showing before and after wiring of SATA & power

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Also, what's the length of the the 3rd party Sata cable and Y-Slipt power cable?

Thank you very much.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

1. Cut the guy some slack, this was only posted today. I think the consensus (i.e., group guess) until today was that it wasn't going to be supported. The link you posted even mentioned that.

2. The consensus is still that the peripherals are going to be pretty pricey at first. Based upon THIS, I'm inclined to agree.... http://macdailynews.com/2011/06/28/apple-releases-2-meter-49-apple-thunderbolt-cable/

3. So we can boot off a TB equipped SSD?!? Woo-hoo!:D

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Just can't wait and have a SSD upgraded.
It is really fast!

Let's have a look on my config.
iMac 3.4G Core i7 with 16GB Ram (Corsair 4 x 4G, model:CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9), and Video card with 2G Ram.
OCZ SATA3 240G SSD (firmware 2.06), 1T WD HDD (built-in).

I have a booting up test.
Starting from power off to login screen, it improved from 30 sec to 20 sec !

Now back to my old question. I know what's going on for before and after.

Before upgrade SSD.
The cable inside is right now:
SATA 0 = official SATA cable (with power) connecting to 1T HDD
SATA 1 = empty
SATA 2 = Optical Drive

After upgrading (adding) to SSD
The cabling would be:
SATA 0 (and HDD power) = SATA cable connecting HDD's SATA, Y-split power to HDD's Power.
SATA 1 = SSD with 3rd party SSD cable and a Y-split power
SATA 2 = Optical Drive

So, I didn't remove any SATA cables from the motherboard. Instead, I just add a 3 party SATA3 cable to motherboard. (L side to motherboard, I side to SSD).

I have a bad news which is I almost broke the LCD cable connect to motherboard, because there is actually a "lever / handle" I didn't know I need to lift it up before unplug the LCD cable. The head of the LCD cable is a bit damaged....
Good news is I plug it back and it works!

Last edited:

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
BTW. There is something new to my iMac which is different from the one like it here (http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html)
I have two grey (or dark silver) sticker on top after I open the glass. These two stickers are sticking between the LED panel and the frame. If you want to take out the LED panel, you must remove the stickers. I tried to "open" them very carefully. They didn't break, after upgrading the SSD.

I am not sure if Apple is starting to prevent customers to open(upgrade parts) by themselves or what.

So, FYI, if you are gonna upgrade SSD, be very careful !
Good luck!

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
These are the stickers I mentioned.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 129
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 112

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Also, I used this 3M sticker to stabilize the SSD.
After peeling off the read plastic, it is crystal clear and thick sticker tape.
(One of the edge with one which has been peel off the red sticker, and it is clear tape.)

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 115
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.