Have I killed my hard disk?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by daniel-b, May 30, 2012.

1. daniel-b, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

daniel-b
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hi all,

After my success using FWB hard disk toolkit to partition and format the flash drive, I thought I'd use it to repartition the hd in my Quadra 650. The drive is a 4 gb IBM, which was formatted as a single partition, which led to huge file system overhead.

This turned out to be a disaster ...

Everything appeared OK. I made the partitions, and copied a system folder onto one of them but now when I boot the machine with the hd connected, I get a sad Mac. If I disconnect the hd, I can still boot from the flash drive.

Setting the startup disk to the flash drive has no effect. I have to disconnect the hd to be able to boot.

Is there any way around this? Can I somehow bypass the hard drive and reformat it again?

I suppose there is a remote possibility that the drive may have died as a result of the pummeling the toolkit gave it, but I doubt it.

I really should learn that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks,

Daniel

2. Lil Chillbil
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I have no answer but I can't help but notice that you have the worst luck with
    computers seeming like they're doing fine and then blowing up in your face

Chillbil out

3. daniel-b
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Computers like me...

Anyway, because I'm just playing with these old crocks, I do things I wouldn't risk if they were used for work, or had important data on them.

4. Lil Chillbil
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I get you, but do you even do research on google or youtube before you do any surgery

5. daniel-b, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

daniel-b
    Expand Collapse

Of course I do.

Since I'm doing quite a few things at once, you got the impression that I have a lot of failures. This is not really the case. I've never actually bricked anything (before now).

In this case, I don't really know where the problem is - as far as I can see (I still need to check this) I can't even boot from a diskette when the drive is connected.

6. daniel-b
    Expand Collapse

I can confirm that the computer won't boot AT ALL when the hard drive is connected. Not even from a diskette.

When the hard drive is disconnected it will boot from the diskette or from the flash drive.

I think the drive hardware has failed.

Anyone have another explanation?

7. MacTech68
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Sounds like the driver that FWB HDT installed onto the drive is incompatible with something. Make sure NO OTHER SCSI device is connected and there is no CD in a CDROM drive (if you have one).

I have a few queries before going further;

How did you boot up the Quadra to re-partition the 4GB drive?

What version of HDT are you using?

Is the Quantum drive an Apple badged version ?

When does the Mac 'bomb'. Immediately, or after the Happy Mac face?

8. daniel-b
    Expand Collapse

Never mind, it's fixed.

It was indeed incompatible versions of the disk driver, system and whatever.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel