Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey

Am I right in saying that my MobileMe ID will become my iCloud ID? When I set up a new iOS 5 device, thats the ID I enter during the set-up options.

As my iTunes ID is different would I then go to the store settings under the Settings app and log-in with that ID there for the iTunes in the cloud features?

Thanks! :)

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Or

Method 2

Do I use my iTunes ID as my iCloud account and somehow add my current existing @me.com email address to that?

Its so confusing! :(

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
you cannot merge your existing mobileme account to a seperate apple ID, but you can have your apple ID on your phone for store purchase and use your mobileme account as an iCloud to do contacts, email, backup, etc.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
you cannot merge your existing mobileme account to a seperate apple ID, but you can have your apple ID on your phone for store purchase and use your mobileme account as an iCloud to do contacts, email, backup, etc.

Thats what I was thinking. It's just that I saw someone use their iTunes account as their iCloud account and when they try to enable email it prompts you to create a new @me.com iCloud email address. How would this work if the iCloud ID is a yahoo or gmail address as the username?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Thats what I was thinking. It's just that I saw someone use their iTunes account as their iCloud account and when they try to enable email it prompts you to create a new @me.com iCloud email address. How would this work if the iCloud ID is a yahoo or gmail address as the username?

calender, contacts etc is tied to your Apple ID, which can be any old email address. but for email you have to set up an iCloud me.com address.

i have my live.com as my iCloud account, contacts and all that are tied to the apple ID. then when i enable email, it asked me to make a me.com address, so i did, and now that's tied to my account, but my ID is still me live.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.