Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm wondering if anyone has impressions of the 15" MacBook Air M3 vs. the 14" MacBook Pro M3 (not the M3 pro). Assume I am coming from the 15" M2 Air and I am wanting at least 16gb ram and 1tb storage. How's the battery life tradeoff?

Reactions: Saturn007

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Good question. The 14” MBP M2 vs. 15” M2 has been covered before — with, IIRC, battery life significantly favoring the 15”. Check back through the threads to confirm.

But you are asking a new wrinkle. Does the M3 change the equation?

Of course, a major variable will be the kind of computing one does, right?

What do Apple's official specs tell you? That’s a starting point, but your use may not mirror theirs!

halledise

macrumors 68000
the M2 - either 13.6" or 15.2" - is an amazing machine.
not many discernible benefits upping to an M3.
however … if you're stuck with M2/8GB/256GB and want 16GB/1TB then, personally, i'd be going for the M3 MBPro.
screen size+resolution is better than the Air and the Pro, whilst chunkier, it'll keep you smiling far longer than the Air would …

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
have a mba m2 16/1tb. Have a mbp m3pro 16/1tb. Son has the mba m3 base. Also have a studio m1 that was a gift. The studio my son is using for development and it’s fine for those needs. Overkill for me or I would have sold it.
the mbp m3 was my fav machine. I do heavy video editing as well as office workflows and for research keep 50-60 tabs open. Travel with this monster is a nightmare. Too cumbersome and heavy. Battery liffe sucks as well. Wanted to try the airs out.

the mba m2 is perfect and has become my fav machine. My video workflow fly. Office appa are quick and I can keep 50-60 tabs open. The battery life is phenomenal and the lightness is a godsend. I thought I would miss the screen of the mbp, but unless they are side by side I have no regrets. Am selling the mbp and quite frankly am surprised by the capabilities of the air. I’ve always owned pros so this was quite a wake up call.

i do not have that many good things to say about the base m3mba. He needed a liteweight small form factor laptop for school and given how impressed I was with my mba thought we’d give it a try. 8gb is simply not enough, certainly for my workflow and what hiss smallish needs are. We are returning the m3 air and getting another m2 air configured like mine from the refurb Apple Store for 1209. That is a killer deal.

So to answer your question. What is the config of your m2 air? If it is base, then I would trade it in on a m2 like mine, or a m3 air with16gb/512 or 1 tb ssd. What are your needs and why do you want a m3pro.( I can give you a good deal on one;))

what are your typical workflows and what is your heaviest usage? Having significant experience with the Mac’s you have/are considering. Feel like I can help you with a little more info.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
the M2 - either 13.6" or 15.2" - is an amazing machine.
not many discernible benefits upping to an M3.
however … if you're stuck with M2/8GB/256GB and want 16GB/1TB then, personally, i'd be going for the M3 MBPro.
screen size+resolution is better than the Air and the Pro, whilst chunkier, it'll keep you smiling far longer than the Air would …

Again the same useless advice... not everyone wants an MBP or needs its extra power or extra features! Many prefer lighter-smaller-portable devices while having all the power for their needs.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Coming from a 2019 MacBook Pro, the 14" MacBook Pro battery like is absolutely incredible. I realize you're considering going from an M2 to an M3 but whether you chose the 15" Air or the 14" Pro, the difference in battery life would be negligible in most cases. Unless you want sustained high-power performance (which would hit your battery life anyway) of the Pro, I'd be tempted to keep what I have if I were in your shoes. If you're determined to make the leap, I can't recommend the 14" MacBook Pro enough!

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 15” M2 Air with 24gb ram and 1tb. It randomly got. Scratch on the screen that I cannot explain. In any event, I’m thinking it’s best to pay the $99 deductible for Apple care screen repair/replacement and keep what I have bc I am a therapist who does zooms with clients, research and word processing for my PhD program and so really it’s just about not having things stall or run into swap when I’m multitasking. I do really like the large footprint for typing that the 15” provides. I use my m1 air for portability bc that has 16gb ram and 512gb SSD so it’s very capable, but I basically like the 15” as my “mobile desktop” if you will. So I don’t think from the sound of it that an m3 makes sense bc it will cost a ton to get a comparable machine even with trade in and the pro will be a bit smaller and heavier even though the screen is nice (not too noticeable maybe for my needs unless side by side it sounds like). I appreciate this feedback a lot.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I have a 15” M2 Air with 24gb ram and 1tb. It randomly got. Scratch on the screen that I cannot explain. In any event, I’m thinking it’s best to pay the $99 deductible for Apple care screen repair/replacement and keep what I have bc I am a therapist who does zooms with clients, research and word processing for my PhD program and so really it’s just about not having things stall or run into swap when I’m multitasking. I do really like the large footprint for typing that the 15” provides. I use my m1 air for portability bc that has 16gb ram and 512gb SSD so it’s very capable, but I basically like the 15” as my “mobile desktop” if you will. So I don’t think from the sound of it that an m3 makes sense bc it will cost a ton to get a comparable machine even with trade in and the pro will be a bit smaller and heavier even though the screen is nice (not too noticeable maybe for my needs unless side by side it sounds like). I appreciate this feedback a lot.
Makes more sense to get the screen replaced for sure. Nothing you currently do on your M2 air is going to feel any different going up to the m3. I have an m2 air with 16gb/1tb and love it, have no desire to move away from it anytime soon

halledise

macrumors 68000
Also in post #1 the OP asked about MBA M3 vs MBP M3, so it was clear he didn't want or need the extra performance that MBP with M3 Pro chip has... hence why your advice was useless.
>15" MacBook Air M3 vs. the 14" MacBook Pro M3 (not the M3 pro)<
that is indeed what i was responding to having had an M2 Air and M2 MacBook Pro.
but, whatever …
you sound like one of those people who are rarely wrong.
pax

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I just traded in my MacBook Air M2 16GB Ram and 512GB HD. My trade in value with Apple was $705. I purchased a MacBook Pro M3 M3 Pro with 18GB Ram and 512GB HD. I used the college discount to lower price from $1,999 to $1,849. Final price after taxes and trade-in $1,291.30 and I used my Apple Card with 12 months no interest at $95.33. I did this to get a better computer performance. Hopefully, I will keep this computer for 2 - 3 years. This probably will be my last computer, since I am retiring in few years.

If you say why I am using college discount, well Apple is selling same computer on Amazon for $$1,793. That college discount is basically their base price and Apple is selling it for $56 less on Amazon. I am purchasing it from Apple for the 12 months no interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazz1

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I just traded in my MacBook Air M2 16GB Ram and 512GB HD. My trade in value with Apple was $705. I purchased a MacBook Pro M3 M3 Pro with 18GB Ram and 512GB HD. I used the college discount to lower price from $1,999 to $1,849. Final price after taxes and trade-in $1,291.30 and I used my Apple Card with 12 months no interest at $95.33. I did this to get a better computer performance. Hopefully, I will keep this computer for 2 - 3 years. This probably will be my last computer, since I am retiring in few years.

If you say why I am using college discount, well Apple is selling same computer on Amazon for $$1,793. That college discount is basically their base price and Apple is selling it for $56 less on Amazon. I am purchasing it from Apple for the 12 months no interest.

Did you hit any limits (memory, power, performance…) with your old MBA M2 that you felt the need to upgrade to MBP M3 Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.