have multiple clients connect to a server using gamekit? (over bluetooth)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by stoopkitty, Mar 6, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jan 26, 2010
    Like what would be the basic steps? Or does anyone know of any good tutorials?

I have been trying to do some research on this online, and I think I have kind of got the idea, but i'm not completely sure what all of this does so could someone explain it? Also, I want to make sure it makes this connection over bluetooth, not WiFi, so is there a way to force it to do that. and i want one user to be the server and all of the rest to be clients (unless you think all of them being peers would be a better way to do this and you can tell me how to do it). and i cant use peer picker because it doesnt let you create your own interface.

I think the basic steps are:

1. ask the user whether they want to be a server or client
    2. server: initWithSessionID:displayName:sessionMode:GKSessionModeServer
    3. clients: initWithSessionID:displayName:sessionMode:GKSessionModeClient
    4. server: peersWithConnectionState:GKPeerStateAvailable
    5. server: use connectToPeer:withTimeout: for all of the possible peers that peersWithConnectionState:GKPeerStateAvailable found
    6. clients: have all of the other devices use acceptConnectionFromPeer:error:
    7. everyone: setDataReceiveHandler:self withContext:
    8. everyone: implement - (void) receiveData: (NSData *)data fromPeer: (NSString *)peer inSession: (GKSession *)session context: (void *)context; (in the same viewController class) and set it up to handle received data.
    9. everyone: use sendData:toPeers:withDataMode:error: or sendDataToAllPeers:withDataMode:error: to send data when i want to