Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fojacko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Ok, so i'm looking at a iPad air, but i'm a bit skeptical seeing that many people have reported issues with a yellow tint on their screen.

Has the issue been resolved yet, or is it still an ongoing problem?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Not answering your problem, but just wanna chime in with my opinion,
I have seen some of these "yellow screens" from fellows, and I think overall the "problem" is highly exaggerated (I could Barely see any yellow on these screens)

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I have seen some of these "yellow screens" from fellows, and I think overall the "problem" is highly exaggerated (I could Barely see any yellow on these screens)

I had a couple that looked like someone took a leak on them after drinking a pot of coffee. Some of them were really bad. May not be where you're at or what you experienced, but I can assure you that it was a significant problem for many, especially those that need the appropriate color for work related material (graphic design, photo editing, etc.).

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I had a couple that looked like someone took a leak on them after drinking a pot of coffee. Some of them were really bad. May not be where you're at or what you experienced, but I can assure you that it was a significant problem for many, especially those that need the appropriate color for work related material (graphic design, photo editing, etc.).

Oh this was definitely an issue and only the least discriminating eyes wouldn't see it. I went through a rough experience myself trying to get one that wasn't tinted yellow on part of the screen.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Here comes this debate again....

b1d.png

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This.

There is no "yellow screen" problem. Sure a few models may have something wrong just like any mass produced item but it's not a problem unless it's prominent on a large amount of displays.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The iPad mini I purchased from Target has a slightly yellowish tint "egg white" color running along the bottom where the home button is at. If I flip the screen around it stays on that portion of the screen whether in portrait or landscape mode. It's not a bright white as it is on the other portion of the screen.

It's terrible but somewhat noticeable.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
This.

There is no "yellow screen" problem. Sure a few models may have something wrong just like any mass produced item but it's not a problem unless it's prominent on a large amount of displays.

Or on the other hand.

There is a design problem, and one that Apple have had for years across many devices.

Try Googling iMac Yellow Screen. (About 854,000 results)

Try Googling iPad Yellow Screen. (About 149,000,000 results)

149 Million !

I feel the truth is probably closer that they get away with it, because those who are after a correct screen. Some may say fussy, get them swapped out for better ones. But the mass population just don't notice.

It is easier to use the public as quality control on this.
If you are making something of a standard that 90% of the people are ok with, then why spend millions? making things better for the 10% who care?

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Or on the other hand.

There is a design problem, and one that Apple have had for years across many devices.

149 Million !

I feel the truth is probably closer that they get away with it, because those who are after a correct screen. Some may say fussy, get them swapped out for better ones. But the mass population just don't notice.

If you are making something of a standard that 90% of the people are ok with, then why spend millions? making things better for the 10% who care?

Well, to be fair, a lot of the so called yellowing issues deal with people who aren't used to the warmer color temps on some screens. The yellowing issue on the iPads this year though have to do with part of the screen being noticeably yellowish and the other part perfectly fine. Unless you have completely non discerning eyes, it's very hard to miss.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Well, to be fair, a lot of the so called yellowing issues deal with people who aren't used to the warmer color temps on some screens. The yellowing issue on the iPads this year though have to do with part of the screen being noticeably yellowish and the other part perfectly fine. Unless you have completely non discerning eyes, it's very hard to miss.

I have not see this issue myself so was not sure how much if looked like a fault or just a less blue screen

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Yup, that perfectly describes the iPad mini I just purchased at Target. I'm going to get it exchanged tomorrow.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Ok, so i'm looking at a iPad air, but i'm a bit skeptical seeing that many people have reported issues with a yellow tint on their screen.

There never was a problem, it was just made up by the Apple haters.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Or on the other hand.

149 Million !

For what it's worth,I just Googled"rancid skunk liver" and got 1,030,000 results.

So there is that.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013

This is it. I've had a Ipad 1,2 & 4 all very good screens, I went through about 4 Airs all had the issue, so did all on display in the store and most stores I've been too. I will admit I bought first day so maybe (and hopefully) it was just an issue with the first few batches but the Apple support forum has it's longest ever thread about just this issue. It's not that the screens are yellow or that they have a slightly warmer colour it's the uniformity. You get a great screen for about 70% then coming from the left hand side there's a yellow smear coming across the screen.

I can imagine if you use a lot of apps that are very colourful you may not notice it as much but when you have IOS 7 that's very white and use lots of apps that have white backgrounds it's very very noticeably.

There never was a problem, it was just made up by the Apple haters.

Jesus some people(hopefully your just sarcastic). I could just easily say it's massive problem just glossed over by people who treat Apple like a religious cult rather than a massive corporation who sell goods advertised as the Premium tablets on the market at premium prices, as such one should expect premium quality.

I said it in the main thread about this. Whether you believe this is an issue or not, the Ipad is as small and light as it needs to be Apple focusing on screen quality and uniformity would benefit everyone.

As for the OP. If you want one go buy it, Apple have a very good returns policy if yours has the issue, it's possible this was an early manufacturing issue they've sorted, though personally I'm waiting for the Air 2. As I said I went through many before getting a refund and was never given any trouble.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
For what it's worth,I just Googled"rancid skunk liver" and got 1,030,000 results.

So there is that.

Wait, shunk liver is rancid? Well this is the first I'm hearing of this issue. I'm outraged! Apple better straighten this out or they're going to lose my business. :p

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Tim Cook said on the conference call for the latest quarterly report:
"It means much more to us to get it right than to be first," Cook said Wednesday during the earnings call. " ... They (consumers) want great, insanely great, (products) and that’s what we want to deliver."

I find the iPad Air to be a great product overall, but the display color issue is there and a disappointment. I have an old iPad 2 and a low-end LED TV and they both have better more uniform display color.

My first iPad Air had worse color problems and I returned it, the second one which I kept has the problem to a lesser extent but it is tolerable and I haven't seen any that are much better. Fortunately I use this iPad for mostly news monitoring and perfect color is not required there. The display sharpness and the Air's speed, ease of use, and reliability are what is most important to me.

brhume

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
FIY:
The exact same problem exists with the iPad rMini: one part of the screen (usually the bottom part) is yellowish, while the other is either white, blueish or even magenta...

:(

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
FIY:
The exact same problem exists with the iPad rMini: one part of the screen (usually the bottom part) is yellowish, while the other is either white, blueish or even magenta...

:(

Sorry to hear that. Luckily, the first one that I owned had a screen that was void of color problems until I shattered it, and now this replacement has a screen that is void of color problems also. Granted, it is not as rich in color as my wife's Air but it is acceptable to me.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

You've nothing to worry about. Any issues you may have, they'll take care of within the year

Or on the other hand.

149 Million !

Yet DisplayMate, Anandtech, and production houses are mightily impressed with the 'out of box' calibration of the Air. We just purchased six Airs after a successful run of six months in the field. We so video and still photography in -30° and 90° above (Fahrenheit). We've had zero issues with calibration, yellowing or uneven displays. We use Eizo, NEC and professional Panasonic monitors for color correction and the Air is as good or better than most spendy and 'professional' laptops. People aren't used to calibrated displays. Have an TV dropped off post purchase. Set the thing up like you 'think' it should. Then, have it calibrated by a certified tech. You won't 'like' it initially. But you'll get used to it and it's the WAY the director intended it to be 'seen'. I'm sure plenty of those 'hits' are directly like linked to the couple hundred noisy complainers here, Apple.com and other forums. Aggregated maybe a couple thousand 'unique' folks with legitimate complaints. With 50million + in the wild that seems insignificant. Especially with Apple's return policy. Again, a half dozen ordered with a pair we've had since day one. NONE have display issues, yellowing, unevenness or weird tinting. Maybe I'm lucky but that's 8/8. We also have five iPad 4s we've used in the field for almost two years, definitely two winters in Alaska. Same experience. No issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.