Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Why, it sure has. Auto-update didn't mention anything about my license expiring when it told me to update to a new version.

Just in case you're not being sarcastic:

20080213-dpwi52cxy13kdfikapd9jwnurn.jpg

And if you click either "skip this version" or "remind me later" you don't have to upgrade and it still works.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Just in case you're not being sarcastic:

20080213-dpwi52cxy13kdfikapd9jwnurn.jpg

And if you click either "skip this version" or "remind me later" you don't have to upgrade and it still works.

...just like he amended the "recent purchase" policy to exclude MacHeist users.

This company is likely in breach of contract with MacHeist and it's possible they could see all revenue retracted from the promotion for the stunt they've pulled.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
calm down you deserve nothing new for freee

Look at it this way:

3 weeks ago you went to the store

in the discount bin was an AMAZING pair of shows for HALF PRICE!! :eek: OMG!!!!!

so yo ubuy them, you love them, you ue them everyday, GREAT bargain. :)

THEN, the company that made those shows comes out with a new version of them... suddenly your shoes seem out of style... you beg the company to give you the new shoes for free. They say "LOL, those shoes were IN the bargain bin because we were coming out with new shoes in just a couple weeks"

Get why your being greedy now?

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
The Macheist makers always lead me to believe that they were selling the REAL software, as opposed to 'promo licenses'. I'm glad I didn't buy the bundle now... it was just too good to be true.
:(

Actually, Speed Download is the only one that this has happened with, as far as I know.

Really, Macheist was a BRILLIANT bundle. Everything works perfectly and the software isn't some watered down promo one - you just don't get free updates. Come on, it's not unreasonable. The developers get x% of $50. There were around 10 apps if I remember. That would be $5 each per software - and considering that some apps like Pixelmator and iStopmotion cost well over that to buy, it's hardly unreasonable for developers to say "No" to people getting free updates to the software - especially when they wouldn't necessarily get $5 anyway because there are the cuts for charities, and so on.
Really, this is probably the main reason developers enter these bundles - so people get using their software and then pay for the updates. Yes, it hasn't been long since the older version was bought but this is how business works and this works very well.

People are just complaining because they want the latest greatest everything and have to pay. The entire Macheist bundle this year was fantastic.

Edit: the Speed Download section states this:

Speed Download must be activated using the provided promo version. This version is the same as the currently released build of Speed Download in every way besides activation, which is required to track promo customers. You can upgrade to new versions using official, non promo releases through Yazsoft.com, or Speed Download's auto updating. We will keep a copy of the promo build available for downloading for six months until July 23rd, 2008. Please activate before then.

It states you get the promo version. In no way does it deceive you.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Edit: the Speed Download section states this:

Speed Download must be activated using the provided promo version. This version is the same as the currently released build of Speed Download in every way besides activation, which is required to track promo customers. You can upgrade to new versions using official, non promo releases through Yazsoft.com, or Speed Download's auto updating. We will keep a copy of the promo build available for downloading for six months until July 23rd, 2008. Please activate before then.

It states you get the promo version. In no way does it deceive you.

Actually, it does. (I didn't even buy the bundle, btw.) "You can upgrade to new versions using official, non promo releases," doesn't mean you have to pay for the upgrades. Now, saying upgrade instead of update is probably their legal way of saying they didn't promise it for free, but in reality, nowhere in that language does it indicate that, and especially when it indicates the auto updating. This really is despicable business practice.

jW

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

Look at it this way:

in the discount bin was an AMAZING pair of shows for HALF PRICE!! :eek: OMG!!!!!

THEN, the company that made those shows comes out with a new version of them... suddenly your shoes seem out of style... you beg the company to give you the new shoes for free. They say "LOL, those shoes were IN the bargain bin because we were coming out with new shoes in just a couple weeks"

You don't even understand what is going on.

JNB

macrumors 604
My solution? Uninstalled the pig, and back to Download Manager in Camino & Safari (which were faster, btw).

I think it was cheesy to include what was essentially trial software in a for-fee bundle that way. I could get trials without paying $50 already, so why would I want to now? If they don't want to sell a bunch at a few bucks a copy (their share), than they can sell none at whatever price they think it's worth. And after using it for a couple of weeks, it's not worth much, as it slowed me down.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007

Look at it this way:

What if the company promises everyone who bought the shoes within 30 days a free upgrade to the new shoes?

And then they say if you bought them on sale, you don't get the upgrade...

Get why we're being taken advantage of?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
With such attitude, I'm forced to use pirated copies of this program as the developers do not seem to have ethics since they knew about v5.0 and never offered free upgrade for it.

You are not forced to do anything. Especially, you are not forced to commit copyright infringement by using a pirated copy. Since nobody forces you, committing copyright infringement would make you liable for damages, with statutory damages in the USA between $750 and $150,000.

And how on earth is it unethical to invest a lot of time, money and work into an upgrade for an application and _not_ giving it away for free? I didn't see you offering to cut the grass in someone's garden for free, or redecorate the living room of one of the developers for free, or to service their car for free, did you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.