Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
I used know some of the main members of The Prodigy (Fire Starter et al) before they got famous, I say some as there used to be around 8 - 12 people and Keith Flint is a very nice guy regardless of his image, they also let me jump around on stage like a loon :)

I said "alright mate" before shaking Prince Phillip's hand at a Duke of Edinburgh Award party (I was 15). I've met some other celebrities but they're UK only types and I doubt anyone but a Brit will know them.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
forgot to mention,

I was in the live audience for "The Screensavers" (used to be a show on tech tv)

I shook hands with leo laporte, patrick norton, saw morgan webb, kevin rose, martin sargeant, and the black chick that did the news (forgot her name). The studio was so small and you would never know the studio was there unless you looked real close at the small logo on the front class door. All the cast was vanned in because there was no parking around there. I sat in the board meeting room for the audience coaching session. There was a 20 year old there who had a tattoo of the apple icon on his back. It was so surreal. I could tell you a lot more about the studio/experience but I am too tired. I miss tech tv... I had my parents record the episode on vhs, I might upload it some time and post a short clip of when they panned over the audience. Leo was so cool, he talked with the audience during the commerical breaks, this was when it was the 90 min. show and live.

edit: I also talked with Andrew W.K. when he was filming a documentary downtown ann arbor, MI (he is from there). I have also seen Taproot around town. I also was at a good morning america shoot in hell, MI back near halloween '03. I saw tony perkins there.
The weather man chad meyers (the one who flipped out on live tv) visited my class back in the fourth grade, he worked for fox 2 detroit then.
I know there is more, can't remember at the moment.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i have met, talked to and taken pictures with Brian Culbertson and Rick Braun at their respective concerts. I have also met John Travolta on the set of Primary Colors back in the day.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I’ve met the following people:

Halle Berry. I got lucky and was picked out of a crowd to meet her and get an autograph for a promotion to her movie “Gothica” while dozens of photographers took pics of the event.

Cassandra Peterson (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark)
Dave Prowse (Darth Vader)
Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
Yvonne Craig (the original Batgirl)
John Ryse-Davies (Gimli from LOTR) –very nice guy, insists on talking to each fan he meets.
George Takai (Sulu from Star Trek)
Nichelle Nichols (Uhura from Star Trek)
Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk)
Rowdy Roddy Piper (some kind of pro wrestler) –extremely nice, greets everybody with a handshake. I’m not a wrestling fan though.

A variety of others I can’t remember.

Yes, I hang out at waaaay too many Sci-Fi conventions!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
CubaTBird said:
i have met, talked to and taken pictures with Brian Culbertson and Rick Braun at their respective concerts. I have also met John Travolta on the set of Primary Colors back in the day.

Ohh! I know this dude that looks EXACTLY like a young John Travolta!
t5200504041658002422gk.jpg

It's.. TROY!!

He introduced me to sweet lady economics... so blame him. :)

He's on (a nearly) full ride to Haaaah-vahhhd.

He had such a good recital!! *sob*

now gone forevverrrrr

/just a little melodramatic
//hehe that's the way I like it!

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Met
Dali Lama
Desmond Tutu
Sean Connery
Natalie Portman
and tonight I met Tommy Lee Jones
Elie Weisel

on a side note: a few politicians (Joe Liberman and the former israeli Prime Minister - Netanyahu)

and most of the San Antonio Spurs over the past 10 years or so.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....quite a few, mostly in the music business - Bob Geldof, Todd Rundgren, Lemmy (Motorhead), Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Conny Plank (r.i.p.), XTC, Ramones, VdGG, Richard Hell, Simple Minds, Ray Davies (Kinks)...and a whole bunch of hockey players at a Toronto Maple Leaf private halloween party....I know I am forgetting a bunch of others......oh yeah!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Ran into Joe Montana at Disneyland once, my Dad recognized him, I didn't know who he was. He shook our hands, asked us not to tell anyone and left with his flock of kids. Nice enough guy, I was about 11 and the thing I remember most clearly were how big his hands were.

I've seen a lot of celebs, I've spent my fair share of time hanging out in Hollywood, didn't feel the need to approach anyone though.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Those who come to mind: JFK, Bobby Vinton, Red Skelton, Sammy Davis Jr., Carol Channing, John McEnroe, Lee Trevino, Dizzy Dean, Stan Musial, Howie Mandel.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
I've met Björk, Eidur Gudjohnsen (sooccer player from Chelsea) and sat next to a chick from the icelandic Spice Girls (YES! :)) in the swimming pool. I've also seen Bobby Fisher, the Icelandic President and did I mention that I met about everyone who is famous in Iceland. Yes, I am the man, say it out lout, I know you want to:)

Tequila Grandma

macrumors regular
May 17, 2003
Boston MA
One time I had a conversation with Vincent Gallo about Fassbinder and Mario Bava films (interestingly, his favorite Fassbinder is "Fox and His Friends"). On a related note, in NY, I've done blow that Chloe Sevigny is not allowed to buy.

Also, Robert Altman was in love with my grandmother.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
bebo said:
...Sean Connery
Natalie Portman...
I am so incredibly jealous... two of the sexiest people to walk this planet. Sigh. Tell, tell! Were they nice?? I'm sure Natalie Portman was really sweet.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Kalinatek said:
And in 1995 i took a pic with Omar AlSharif (the egyptian actor) its was in Egypt , he acted in a lot of movies i just remember Hidalgo and the 13th Warrior right now.

Omar Sharif. You need to watch films before 1999. He was in Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia. Perhaps two of the greatest films ever made. He was also in Far Pavilions. He's also an international Bridge champion.

bemylover

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
OnceUGoMac said:
Omar Sharif. You need to watch films before 1999. He was in Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia. Perhaps two of the greatest films ever made. He was also in Far Pavilions. He's also an international Bridge champion.
he's also in Get Shorty, with John Travolta, Danny DeVito and Rene Russo.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Mark Hunter
The guy who does Any Questions
Kevin Mitnick
Emma Watson
Will Carling

There's more, but it's early morning, so I can't remember much

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've been in a copy-watch shop in Singapore with the members of "Simply Red."

Also been within 10 feet of Stevie Wonder. Good thing he's blind cause Michael Jackson was touring at the time and his pictures/cutouts/albums were everywhere - nothing on Stevie anywhere.

I've served coffee to Princess Diana's brother, Earl Spencer in Canada, met a lot of Australian basketball players when i worked near the local team's offices. Have also met and spoken with a lot of Australian cricket team members - well, older ones, Mark Taylor era.

Actually, there were a lot of movie stars in Canada but I didn't get to speak to any of them.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
humm... anyone that is american had better move on now...

i was on tv with michael howard the night before the general election this year (like literally stood next to him), he is a really nice guy.

i have had dinner with liam fox and met a few other polititians

staying at my hotel the other year was michael aspel (the guy who did this is your life). he is really really odd inreal life - he has a huge head and his body is far too small - so odd!

al3000

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
England
I was staying at the same hotel as Vanessa Feltz in Dubai and shared a lift with her. Probably only UK members will know her...and even then the chances are pretty slim..actually I don't think she can even be classed as a celebrity :D ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
When I was five, Richard Nixon came to my home town to dedicate an annex to our library named after a Senator who had been born there. I shook his hand, then he told us he had a cold.

Bastard. ;)

Not that he wasn't a hottie, but I do wish my celebrity encounter had been with someone else....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
what a terrible title.

but anyways! I live next door to an ex-mayor. though of only a small town he is loved by everyone.
I always see Sean Wilson (Martin Platt from Coronation Street), I used to think he was cool until he turned into a drama queen. infact a whole load of coronation street actors live around here!
My mate has been engaged in pretty informal talks with Tina o' Brian (i think thats how you spell it!) again from corry! she plays Sarah Platt. He's doing a little drama and was just asking if she wouldn't mind being typecast.
I was on holiday with my family so many years ago in Conwy, Wales, and I saw them filming... you guessed it! Coronation Street. a special where Les and his family go on holiday to the "deepest darkest part of Wales"... so they filmed it in the north :rolleyes:

I see loads of hollyoaks, emmerdale and coronation street actors around Manchester.

Nora Batty sat behind us watching Paul Daniels at Oldham Colosseum theatre some years ago. I had a chat with Paul Daniels too. brilliant guy.
And saw Dave Spikey (of Phoenix Nights and Dead Man Weds fame) at the Colosseum too. we had an interesting chat. another down to earth brilliant guy.

BUT! I've met the Chuckle Brothers, Barry and Paul, loads of times. even at 19 i still consider them fantastic entertainers and all round friendly people.

John Lennon accidentally knocked into my dad when he was in Liverpool with my mum. that was funny.

A BIG EDIT! heh i forgot about this... but I was at my ex-girlfriends once (her mum runs a chinese chippy) and a short ginger guy walks in carrying a baby. I think absolutely nothing of it... i mean who would?! but Karen was whispering "its him!" "iiiitsss him!"... not getting it at all, he takes his fish n chips and makes his way towards the door, but its now shut so i open it for him and he says "ta!".
soon as the door shuts Karen says "THAT'S PAUL SCHOLES!"... "who?"... "you know! the big time footballer!" then I got uber excited, ran to the window and saw him getting into what can only be described as the most expensive car to grace a chippy carpark. it was funny. My parents have seen him in a different chippy just down the road too. and in Tescos. I bloody love down to earth celebrities! they're just so good. i mean even i dont go to Tesco! Sainsbury's is my vice. :cool:

L

Lau

al3000 said:
I was staying at the same hotel as Vanessa Feltz in Dubai and shared a lift with her. Probably only UK members will know her...and even then the chances are pretty slim..actually I don't think she can even be classed as a celebrity :D ;)

Mwa ha ha ha ha. <evil smiley>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.