Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
My most recent spending spree lasted for about 3 years... I bought my condo for $63K then proceeded to watch the value go up and up. Today my mortgage is for $135K :eek: I have lots of nice bachelor stuff and have been living large by spending about $70K more than I've made at work over that period of time. Yikes. I should have been more responsible - but I figure, you only live once. I'll probably be working until the day I die though. Oh, well. That's where my photography gig comes into play. Hey, at least I can say I have no credit card debt. Just a mortgage and a car payment :)

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
katie ta achoo said:
As many of you may know, I am in training to be a hand model.

I went to the mall and hit Bath and Body Works, Sephora, Aveda, and The Body Shop for things to make my nails and hands look nice, to improve my hands, to clean them up for hand modeling..

I spent ~$120 on lotions, files, cuticle sticks, cuticle creams, nail treatments, nail hardeners, scrubs, hand masks...

BEST FREAKING MONEY I'VE EVER SPENT!!
WTF is a hand model?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Cooknn said:
I have lots of nice bachelor stuff and have been living large by spending about $70K more than I've made at work over that period of time.
Yikes!

I bet it was a lot easier to spend the 70K than it will be to pay it off.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
sushi said:
Yikes!

I bet it was a lot easier to spend the 70K than it will be to pay it off.
It gets paid down every time I make a mortgage payment. The hard part is realizing, okay... I can't keep spending more than I make. Time to live within my means - or start making more money. Actually it's been pretty nice to have that equity at my disposal. I bought at the perfect time. Now it's time to settle down a bit ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Cooknn said:
It gets paid down every time I make a mortgage payment.
True. But think how nice it would be not to have to make a mortgage payment each month.

Cooknn said:
I can't keep spending more than I make.
That's the key.

Until you do that, you will continue to be behind the 8 ball.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Yeah, since August 2005 to June 2006, I've managed to spend $4100 in apple products and accesories.

and i'm 14. and i paid for it all. :eek: :D :)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
sushi said:
True. But think how nice it would be not to have to make a mortgage payment each month.
Well, before I bought the condo, I was renting. So instead of throwing my money away I made an investment. Just cashed in a good portion of my returns rather than letting it ride ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Cooknn said:
Well, before I bought the condo, I was renting. So instead of throwing my money away I made an investment.
That's outstanding.

Yep, in most cases paying rent is like throwing money down the drain.

Cooknn said:
Just cashed in a good portion of my returns rather than letting it ride ;)
I did something similar with some properties.

Found out that it is better to have a property free and clear.

Just some food for thought.

BTW, I completely understand where you are coming from as I was there once. Just trying to pass along some useful knowledge that might come in handy.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Somehow over the last three years I've managed to build $90k in debt for two pieces of paper (JD and marriage license) and the opportunity to take on even more debt (Lori being pregnant). That being said, other than the first $70k, I wouldn't trade the money spent for anything...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
nbs2 said:
Somehow over the last three years I've managed to build $90k in debt for two pieces of paper (JD and marriage license) and the opportunity to take on even more debt (Lori being pregnant). That being said, other than the first $70k, I wouldn't trade the money spent for anything...
OK I know it's going to be obvious but whats 'JD'?

Right now I'm thinking you got a marriage license(how much is that? gotta be less than $100) and in three years of marriage you've been through ~$89,900 of Jack Daniels!! I didn't start drinking till marriage either, but at $20 a bottle that'd be more than four bottles a day! How the hell did she get pregnant? I find it hard to perform after a couple of JD’s or a few Pimms!:eek:

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
sushi said:
...Just trying to pass along some useful knowledge that might come in handy.
I totally appreciate it. While although I can justify spending my equity, it was indeed nice to have a lower mortgage payment. And in actuality all I've really done is take on more debt - albeit with increased collateral :eek:

martin1000

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Washington, D.C.
mpw said:

Right now I'm thinking you got a marriage license(how much is that? gotta be less than $100) and in three years of marriage you've been through ~$89,900 of Jack Daniels!! I didn't start drinking till marriage either, but at $20 a bottle that'd be more than four bottles a day! How the hell did she get pregnant? I find it hard to perform after a couple of JD’s or a few Pimms!:eek:

I believe JD is a law degree.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
mpw said:

ROFL - great post! :D A JD is a law degree.

I don't really go on spending sprees. Spend more than I should on macs, and sometimes more than I should on the gf, but they both make me happy, and I pay off my credit card every month, so what the hell!

I've got about $40K in law school debts (soon to get much worse), but that's not a spending spree - that's an investment in my professional future which will give an ample return. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.