Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HD DVD or Blu Ray?

• HD DVD

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • Blu Ray

Votes: 82 42.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 49 25.3%

• Total voters

Kalns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I don't know. Maybe, but the game has changed in recent weeks. ;)

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i think movies should be on flash thumb drives that you plug directly into your TV or computer. DVDs are getting a little ridiculous, especially now that no one knows which side to choose.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
When I think of Blu Ray, I think of Sony's PS3 and the limited supplies along with Sony's other products. Sony's image is killing Blu Ray for me. I think that standard will be Zuned in a year or two.

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
New York
I think the one factor thats most important is how well people take to the PS3. If Sony can up its supply and get more of those systems into each home then i think the concept of blue ray will catch on. It seems like more people are concerned about there not being enough rather then the price that they cost. People stood in line all around the country, hoping to get one. Doesn't seem like the price is much of a factor.

I remember when i first got my ps2. Lost most that i knew, i got mine almost 2 years later. But even by then that was the first DVD player in my house.

The new PS3 seems to function as an all around system. It plays games, shows movies dvd or blue ray, it has a hard drive, it can be connected to the internet. Its very possible to probably run the system as a computer using linux OS software.

I think Sony is going to be just fine, they fell off in the portable market with there walkman line but i dont think there going to loose out in the long run with the video games.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Bleh. Format wars all over. Bigger capacity sounds good but fragility is an issue. If discs were durable I could live with smaller (still huge compared to what we use know) discs. I would like to see hard drive content myself but certainly understand the need for hard disc back up. I like having my photos on dvd as well as hard drive. I would think it is the same as some people prefering a paper copy to hold while reading instead of simply reading online?

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Should have another option:-

"WAIT AND SEE"

Being a big Sony whore (excluding the PS brand) i was aiming towards Blu-Ray, but now im not bothered.

When Dual Format players are common place and affordable i'll jump in.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
You can imagine what Joe Public will say when he finds out that certain films are tied to either one or the other format.

"So i have buy both?"

Salesperson quickly realising his commision has is disapering into the sunset.

"Um, well yes"

"I'll think i'll leave it then."

Repeat as required in electrical shops all around the world.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
HD-DVD b/c I just bought an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player :)

It looks great and the HD-DVD movies are $20 compared to $30 for blu-ray at my local Target. 50% more for a blu-ray dvd!!!!!ouch!!!!!!

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
You can imagine what Joe Public will say when he finds out that certain films are tied to either one or the other format.

"So i have buy both?"

Salesperson quickly realising his commision has is disapering into the sunset.

"Um, well yes"

"I'll think i'll leave it then."

Repeat as required in electrical shops all around the world.

A perfect summation of why high definition DVD's will fail, combatcolin.

Thousands of pounds/dollars/Euros on a 'high definition' set-up and a new film collection, or a tenner at the local movie shop and watch the DVD on your current set-up?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
HD-DVD b/c I just bought an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player :)

It looks great and the HD-DVD movies are $20 compared to $30 for blu-ray at my local Target. 50% more for a blu-ray dvd!!!!!ouch!!!!!!
Ditto.

Neither format will win if no one buys them... and as long as there are two competing formats, I won't be 100% behind either of them. For that reason, I will buy some HD-DVDs, but I ain't gonna try to update my entire collection of 600+ DVDs to HD-DVD anytime soon.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Which do I prefer? HD DVD because the players are cheaper, and it's not Sony :p

And which do I think will win? HD DVD because Microsoft is behind it.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
I must admit the next gen DVD war has already had an effect on me.

I have curtailed my DVD consumption greatly, with the knowledge that better versions are around the corner im not buying the same films again, and the DVD market value will plumet even further.

Still buy TV based DVD, as Blu-Ray or HD-DVD isn't going to have a big effect on the vast majority of TV shows already made.

I did the same years agao with VHS, i knew i would want the films i like in a superiour format so i just kept my wallet shut.

My parents have kindly bought me a big 50" HD RP Sony, which has led me to buy a upscaling DVD player, surprised that a good reviewd Sony Multi-Region can be bought for £90 - a more than adequate stop gap until next gen DVD sorts itself out.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Egg on my face, but I think HD-DVD will ultimately win in the end. :)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

sohosid

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
I work as a retoucher in San Francisco, and am currently busy working on the print ads for HDDVD. I asked the art director of the ads which one he thought would win...he ducked the question by saying it was too soon to tell!

He's right though. One has slightly more space on the discs. The other has more studios exlusively on board...yadda yadda.

Let the 'must haves' get the buying out of the way for a year or 2, then see where the dust has settled.

Or go and buy a Betamax off of Ebay!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Blu-ray is the superior format, but then again so were V2000 and Betamax. So my prediction is that HD-DVD will win because there's too many idiots in society. That's how VHS won in the end.

I'm rooting for Blu-ray though!:D

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I'm all for HD-DVD because it isn't made by Sony. I find it a bit ironic that Microsoft is behind HD-DVD since they're quite a bit like Sony when you think about it...Pushy, greedy, out of date.......I'm not buying either as of yet, because an HD-DVD is kind of pointless when you don't have a HD television dont'cha think??..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.