HD DVD v. Blu Ray a moot point?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent Smith, Jan 4, 2007.

1. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

nice, glad to see that somone is thinking. i realy like the WB idea of the hybred discs. things are going to get interesting i think

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm glad that some companies have seen sense, but I'm still going to wait until the technology has been around for a while before I even think about joining in.

As far as the winner goes, you only have to look at Sony's track record with media formats to get a good idea of the outcome.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I think this is a bad idea. We need to just pick a winner and move on. I don't want to spend extra to get a hybrid DVD. Well, I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. Its HD-DVD on one side and Bluray on the other sort of like the DVD's that are both widescreen and fullscreen on opposite sides. I want both sides to be available for additional HD content. Everyone who buys a hybrid DVD is only going to be able to use half of it. Pick a winner and move on.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm waiting for broadband download. I don't need any more media cluttering up my house. And I'm tired of paying though the wazoo for limited content rights. At least with downloading I don't also have to pay for hardware development and disc marketing and transportation costs.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I also think the idea of dual format players and disks is a bad idea. You'll end up paying more for either one. Chose one side or the other and lets get this war over with.

As for hybrid DVD's, I think that may actually benefit the HD-DVD format over Blue-Ray. If you buy dual format high definition DVD's you'll want to buy the cheapest player to play them on. HD-DVD players are cheaper.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Its gonna be a long wait as bandwidth is no where near fast enough to see a full res HD movie.

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I favour the HD/DVD but hopefully it will be some time before I need to make a choice. By that time it should be apparent which format will dominate.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I don' think this changes much for me. As long as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players cost several hundred dollars, I'll continue using standard DVDs.