Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I'm glad that some companies have seen sense, but I'm still going to wait until the technology has been around for a while before I even think about joining in.

As far as the winner goes, you only have to look at Sony's track record with media formats to get a good idea of the outcome.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I think this is a bad idea. We need to just pick a winner and move on. I don't want to spend extra to get a hybrid DVD. Well, I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. Its HD-DVD on one side and Bluray on the other sort of like the DVD's that are both widescreen and fullscreen on opposite sides. I want both sides to be available for additional HD content. Everyone who buys a hybrid DVD is only going to be able to use half of it. Pick a winner and move on.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I'm waiting for broadband download. I don't need any more media cluttering up my house. And I'm tired of paying though the wazoo for limited content rights. At least with downloading I don't also have to pay for hardware development and disc marketing and transportation costs.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I also think the idea of dual format players and disks is a bad idea. You'll end up paying more for either one. Chose one side or the other and lets get this war over with.

As for hybrid DVD's, I think that may actually benefit the HD-DVD format over Blue-Ray. If you buy dual format high definition DVD's you'll want to buy the cheapest player to play them on. HD-DVD players are cheaper.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm waiting for broadband download. I don't need any more media cluttering up my house. And I'm tired of paying though the wazoo for limited content rights. At least with downloading I don't also have to pay for hardware development and disc marketing and transportation costs.
Its gonna be a long wait as bandwidth is no where near fast enough to see a full res HD movie.

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
I favour the HD/DVD but hopefully it will be some time before I need to make a choice. By that time it should be apparent which format will dominate.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I don' think this changes much for me. As long as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players cost several hundred dollars, I'll continue using standard DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.