Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
What does this mean? I ran verify disk after repair permissions because safari kept on crashing on me. And this is what happened!

in red it says:
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I'll attach the screen shot when MR decides to let me... it's not responding.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Are you trying to repair a disk that you're currently booted from? If I recall, doing such will invariably give you an error.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Blackheart said:
Are you trying to repair a disk that you're currently booted from? If I recall, doing such will invariably give you an error.

booted from? I don't know...?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Some versions of OSX, depending on the disk format type, give strange errors like this. You could try fsck if you like. That link also tells you a little about benign errors in Tiger. :)

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
mad jew said:
Some versions of OSX, depending on the disk format type, give strange errors like this. You could try fsck if you like. That link also tells you a little about benign errors in Tiger. :)

MR won't let me attach the screen shot for a weird reason, nor will photobucket. They're out to get me.

there was a few benign errors, but the site didn't mention the "Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit" should I not let it bother me? (although it does) :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There's no harm in running fsck until you don't see any more errors. I recommend fsck over Disk utility on the OSX disks because fsck gets updated with the system whereas the disks do not. :)

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
mad jew said:
There's no harm in running fsck until you don't see any more errors. I recommend fsck over Disk utility on the OSX disks because fsck gets updated with the system whereas the disks do not. :)

Am back from single user mode, and ran fsck. And problem gone! I'm so happy, I hate disk utility now. I'm going to run fsck over disk from now on.

Do you run fsck for stuff like random crashings and other problems you'd might want to use disk utility for? Are there specific times when you should run fsck?

THANKS!!!:p

in a very good mood now

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't run fsck regularly. In fact, I rarely run it all, but I'm lucky enough to have two very nicely working Macs so I don't run into many problems. You shouldn't have to run fsck regularly either.

FWIW, I use Disk Utility to verify my disk every now and then. The version of Disk Utility in the Utilities folder is kept up to date so its verification process is relevant however you cannot repair the disk from here obviously. :)

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
mad jew said:
I don't run fsck regularly. In fact, I rarely run it all, but I'm lucky enough to have two very nicely working Macs so I don't run into many problems. You shouldn't have to run fsck regularly either.

FWIW, I use Disk Utility to verify my disk every now and then. The version of Disk Utility in the Utilities folder is kept up to date so its verification process is relevant however you cannot repair the disk from here obviously. :)

I'm wondering what caused this, I ran disk repair not even a week ago. The only recent development is the 10.4.4 update, and changing a few icons. When safari started to act up and I tried to use disk utility is when I found this little problem. Weird. :rolleyes:

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
mad jew said:
Is it a laptop? Moving hard drives get corrupted quicker than stationary ones.

yes, 12 inch 1.33 powerbook, I believe it is rev C (?)

and this baby gets moved A LOT. Not unnecessary moves, just frequent moves. :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, if a computer is writing to the hard drive and it gets jerked, the file system can become slightly corrupted. It's usually redeemable though, as we just found out. :p

I really wouldn't worry too much about it though, it's not a huge problem. If things are getting slow or weird, maybe run Disk Utility's Verify Disk function. FWIW my Action iBook™ (goes everywhere there's wireless coverage) has only had this sort of issue once in two years. :)

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
laptop love. I'm just waiting for the day when apple will make them float/fly, so they could just hover around with me. A world without laptop drops. :eek:

thanks for all your help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.