HD sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Apr 19, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Basically every time I do anything on my PB. Click on a menu item, program, open a folder, etc. There's a sound like a.. WHEEEE-bump.. coming from the harddrive.

I could be wrong, but I thought that that meant it was a failing harddrive, and this is a brand new PB?

EDIT: It's making the sound just typing this, too.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Is it a newer powerbook? Does it sound sorta like if you held a pencil above a desk and dropped one end down and let it bounce a few times? If so... that's normal.

3. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

No, I had that sound on my iBook, this is something different. It's like a grasshopper making it's noise and then suddenly stopping.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That sounds a LOT like a failing hard drive to me. Sometimes that happens, just means the hard drive was unfortunately defective. I'm guessing if the PowerBook's new, it's still under AppleCare warranty. You'll need to get this fixed at an Apple Store or send it in for repair. Back up whatever personal data you have on here, as it could be gone in the very near future.

5. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'll do the best I can, I'm at school right now without an external harddrive. Thanks in advance. I guess I'll be making a trip to the Apple store when I get home in 2 weeks.