Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Basically every time I do anything on my PB. Click on a menu item, program, open a folder, etc. There's a sound like a.. WHEEEE-bump.. coming from the harddrive.

I could be wrong, but I thought that that meant it was a failing harddrive, and this is a brand new PB?

EDIT: It's making the sound just typing this, too.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Is it a newer powerbook? Does it sound sorta like if you held a pencil above a desk and dropped one end down and let it bounce a few times? If so... that's normal.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
No, I had that sound on my iBook, this is something different. It's like a grasshopper making it's noise and then suddenly stopping.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
That sounds a LOT like a failing hard drive to me. Sometimes that happens, just means the hard drive was unfortunately defective. I'm guessing if the PowerBook's new, it's still under AppleCare warranty. You'll need to get this fixed at an Apple Store or send it in for repair. Back up whatever personal data you have on here, as it could be gone in the very near future.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I'll do the best I can, I'm at school right now without an external harddrive. Thanks in advance. I guess I'll be making a trip to the Apple store when I get home in 2 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.