Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calatis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Hello,
I am new in Mac world. I am trying to benefit the advantage on 20 bit audio CD (HDCD). Can someone tell me if iTune knows how to read those extra 4 bits on HDCD? I connected my iMac to a stereo via Bluetooth and Wifi, right now I do not see anywhere anything saying I am playing HDCD, I think is playing just as a CD.

I know WPM does play, but you will need a 24 bit audio card.

Going to the next level, how about Super Audio CD?

Too bad iPod do not know anything about serious audio formats. It was made for a specific demographics, no offense, I have an Ipod too.

Thank you,

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
I don't think it will decode HDCD, and I'm certain it won't play the full quality SACD content. AFAIK the only computers that ever had that ability were a few Sony Vaio's that had built in SACD drives.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Hello,
I am new in Mac world. I am trying to benefit the advantage on 20 bit audio CD (HDCD). Can someone tell me if iTune knows how to read those extra 4 bits on HDCD? I connected my iMac to a stereo via Bluetooth and Wifi, right now I do not see anywhere anything saying I am playing HDCD, I think is playing just as a CD.

I know WPM does play, but you will need a 24 bit audio card.

Going to the next level, how about Super Audio CD?

Too bad iPod do not know anything about serious audio formats. It was made for a specific demographics, no offense, I have an Ipod too.

Thank you,

The best you can do is rip lossless, like I do.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
The best you can do is rip lossless, like I do.

he's talking about playing it not ripping it!

hdcd is a dead format for the most part. i have a rotel cd player that does it and there are some amazing recordings done in hdcd fomat. mellencamp is one of my favorites. however it never took off and is not really talked about much these days. i was a big fan of dvd-audio and sacd too. none of them really hit the big time but will still cool to listen to from time to time.

Calatis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Good by and good night...

Well, I guess, if I want to listen some serious music, I have to buy serious devices and probably only SACD. Denon has some state of the art SACD players, I might have to sell my car:). But unfortunately even SACD is dying so I have to buy AAC form Apple @ 128 kbs, sad. I was hopping this is progress. Good by and good night...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.