Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Oh… I'm not sure "no adapters or dongles required" means what you seem to think it means.
You don't need an adapter to use the Alternate Mode with an USB-C device. You obviously need an adapter if you're using a device such as the MacBook where you only have one USB-C port and you might want to charge the device at the same time.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
The problem is bigger than whats reported here.

I bought a 12" 2015 Macbook, the goofy overpriced dongle, and a nice Dell Monitor. The 12" macbook absolutely refused to see the Monitor as a monitor, it thought it was a TV. Fonts looked horrendous on it. I spent some serious time with the nice folks at Apple Warranty Support. There was no fix, so I returned the entire deal.

That macbook sure is a solid little gorgeous machine though.

Reactions: sd70mac

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
They need to ratify an HDMI spec that supports 4k@120Hz. (3D being in the 4k spec, you need at least 60Hz per eye to be reasonable use for fast motion and games).
USB-C/USB 3.1 is currently limited to 10Gb/s, HDMI 2.0 is 18Gb/s, so we'll need a faster USB standard to support the higher end HDMI bandwidth.

sd70mac

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Only 30 Hz. Which means, its just another thing thats possible, that no one wants to use.
Yeah. 30Hz is fast enough for watching videos or web browsing, and probably okay for photo editing, but practically useless for gaming or video editing.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Sorry, but that sounds like you don't actually have a reason for claiming it wastes space. How does it even waste space on the outside of the case? And have you even seen the board that the HDMI port is soldered onto? The port has pretty much the same footprint as a regular USB port. I'm also interested in all of the multiple chips you can eliminate from the computer if you don't have a HDMI port but rather pass it out from the USB-C port.

Also, speaking of clunky ports with one usage case: MagSafe.

Except MagSafe is both useful and a port everyone use - HDMI, a part barely anyone uses. It's a poor way to connect to an external monitor when you have DP and plugging your MacBook into a TV is a poor persons set top box. The only reason for it to actual exist is for presentations and that is now solved with 1.4 built into USB-C, there's no need for 2.0 HDMI on a laptop when DP is far superior.

I'd much rather another USB port that can do anything thanks (or Thunderbolt 3 in this case like we'll get with the new MacBook Pros, going all USB-C/TB3 is the correct way to go now)
[doublepost=1472754591][/doublepost]
For movies on a TV, yeah 30 Hz is enough. But if it's for using a computer with a 4K monitor, not so much.

In which case you'd use DisplayPort instead from the same port wouldn't you. Simple.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
30hz is fine for people to do their presentations with - no one should be using HDMI out to connect an actual monitor for work.

Why not? HDMI is just a cable to send digital video over. I'm not sure exactly how the protocol is implemented, but I believe some content even requires the content protection features of HDMI. You can also pass-through DVI, which was used by people for years for work.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Why not? HDMI is just a cable to send digital video over. I'm not sure exactly how the protocol is implemented, but I believe some content even requires the content protection features of HDMI. You can also pass-through DVI, which was used by people for years for work.

Because you have DisplayPort to connect to computer monitors. HDMI is consumer technology for TV's and set top boxes primarily, not computer monitors.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Except MagSafe is both useful and a port everyone use - HDMI, a part barely anyone uses.
Doesn't change the fact that MagSafe is a single usage case port. And do you actually have any numbers to indicate that people don't use the HDMI port?

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
...when I'm at a random place and I can just unplug their BRplayer or random or cable box or android box and just plug in.
FWIW, I typically only do this when traveling and I need to bring my own HDMI cable to attach to hotel TVs. If I need to bring an HDMI-USB-C cable instead of what I bring now (an HDMI-HDMI cable and an HDMI-mDP adapter), it's no big deal.
So does the power from the display keep the MacBook charged? Or can you only use the external display for as long as the MacBook stay powered by its battery?
HDMI outputs have power but the amount is minuscule; 5V / 50mA.
Yes, but MHL can support more - between 4.5W and 40W, depending on the MHL revision supported. If this USB-C spec can support MHL, then users connecting to an MHL-compatible HDMI port should be able to get some charging capability. 40W might be enough for an ultra low-power laptop (like the new MacBook) to get by.

But this won't be part of any HDMI spec, of course. Whether Apple will ship a computer that can use this capability is a complete unknown, but it would be very convenient for computers that only have one port.
30hz is fine for people to do their presentations with - no one should be using HDMI out to connect an actual monitor for work.
As others have said, this 30Hz is only for 4K. HDMI has no problem with 60Hz at 1080p or 1920x1200 resolutions.

As for what people "should be using", many computers (especially Dells) these days ship with VGA and HDMI ports. HDMI looks much better than VGA and, IMO, is vastly preferable.
Yeah. 30Hz is fast enough for watching videos or web browsing, and probably okay for photo editing, but practically useless for gaming or video editing.
Video editing should be OK if the video is using the 24/25Hz frame rate used by film movies. But yeah, it would be a problem if the video is at 60Hz.
I'm not sure exactly how the protocol is implemented, but I believe some content even requires the content protection features of HDMI. You can also pass-through DVI, which was used by people for years for work.
Because you have DisplayPort to connect to computer monitors. HDMI is consumer technology for TV's and set top boxes primarily, not computer monitors.
Well, Macs have (mini) DisplayPort. Some computers (like those from Dell) choose to use HDMI instead. And it works great. 4K at 60Hz requires HDMI version 2 support, but I would hope that any monitor or computer with this capability would have that support (and as a consumer, this is something to watch out for, just in case some manufacturers try to pull a fast one.)

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Doesn't change the fact that MagSafe is a single usage case port. And do you actually have any numbers to indicate that people don't use the HDMI port?
No but obviously everyone uses the charge port and not everyone use the HDMI port - and it wouldn't be a far guess to figure its the least used of all the available ports.

Either way if it can be wrapped up in a multi port like USB-C then there's no need for it to exist is there.
[doublepost=1472760018][/doublepost]
Well, Macs have (mini) DisplayPort. Some computers (like those from Dell) choose to use HDMI instead. And it works great. 4K at 60Hz requires HDMI version 2 support, but I would hope that any monitor or computer with this capability would have that support (and as a consumer, this is something to watch out for, just in case some manufacturers try to pull a fast one.)

Please show me these Dell monitors that use HDMI and not DisplayPort because ever 4k monitor i've seen from every brand, including Dell (not that id ever want a Dell badge sitting on my laptop ever again) all have a DisplayPort input. Asus, Acer, Dell, LG, all of them.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

So? Some alternatives exist, who cares? All of them are basically moot these days as we see a rise of ultra-high bandwidth cables which allow multiple protocols to be channelled over them (case in point: USB-C, now being used as a video port).

Just checked it out: basically the only difference is that DisplayPort is easily made VGA-compatible with a dongle (it's a win, but it's not huge IMO), and it can handle some higher resolutions at short cable lengths. HDMI doesn't define cable lengths. That's also not as big a win as it sounds: both of them are hitting the limits of copper. You won't be able to run a 5K display with a single HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

Last edited:

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
It's strange, I've looked it up a few times and you're right, according to most documentation, HDMI 1.4 spec can't officially do 4k @ 60hz. However, in my setup, I most certainly CAN get windows to output 4k @ 60hz over HDMI 1.4b. Maybe it's a glitch or something unique about my setup, but I'm telling you, it most certainly is outputting 4k @ 60hz via HDMI 1.4b when running in Windows. It's mind boggling because it shouldn't work, but it does. The 4k labels the port at ''BEST 4k @ 60z'' but according to the TV manual it's a HDMI 1.4b, which is in complete contradiction to the HDMI 1.4b standard.

When I say 4k, I mean the consumer standard ''Ultra HD" (3840x2160) which technically isn't actually 4k- but that's a whole separate discussion, haha.

Anyway, point again being, when black friday comes around this year, do the research, make sure there's at least one HDMI 2.0 port.

Chroma subsampling. Do you have an Nvidia GPU? That will give you 4k60 over 1.4 but with reduced color fidelity.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
So? Some alternatives exist, who cares? All of them are basically moot these days as we see a rise of ultra-high bandwidth cables which allow multiple protocols to be channelled over them (case in point: USB-C, now being used as a video port).

Just checked it out: basically the only difference is that DisplayPort is easily made VGA-compatible with a dongle (it's a win, but it's not huge IMO), and it can handle some higher resolutions at short cable lengths. HDMI doesn't define cable lengths. That's also not as big a win as it sounds: both of them are hitting the limits of copper. You won't be able to run a 5K display with a single HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

And thats the point i'm making - there's no need for a stupidly big and very specific HDMI port on a MacBook Pro when you can have both protocols carried through USB-C. People are moaning that the USB-C to HDMI cable here is HDMI 1.4 and not HDMI 2.0 which does 4k at 60hz for monitors and my point is that its irrelevant as the same port will do DisplayPort at 60hz and all those monitors accept DP input.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Oh my! More dongles.... >_<

It's a cable, not a dongle. But it still means one will have to BUY something since no existing HDMI cables one owns will work, so one must still purchase something. The question is how much this able will cost. Many places charge OBSCENE amounts for cables that are no better than generic $5 cables and most consumers wouldn't know there's no difference (i.e. digital either works or it doesn't).

I can't wait to carry around a Lightning to USB-C adapter everywhere.

I've said before that the iPhone should go to USB-C. It's the new STANDARD worldwide not Lightning. Given even Apple's Macs will all soon have USB-C, it only makes sense to have ONE CONNECTOR to rule them all (until something moves ahead so far it requires something better).

That would depend on the resolution they're using. HDMI is fine for 1080p type resolutions (my 24" monitor here is 1680x1050 and needs nothing more). I would not want to go to 4K unless my monitor was sufficiently large to support it without eyestrain (even with resolution doubling on the GUI like Apple uses) as things like games would have to be upconverted and that leads to fuzzy displays (i.e. Native is always best and Apple's GPUs can't handle things like 4K or 5K gaming save simple things).

As for 30Hz, that's 4K only and that's the same difference as 1080i (that most people watch every day on cable and/or satellite or broadcast television). Thus, for watching a 4K movie on a TV, it'd probably be fine for most people. If you're going to use a high-end monitor, you probably want a better connection.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This development (in my opinion) adds fuel to the fire that Apple may be seriously studying the very idea of dropping the Lightning port in favor of a multi-functional USB Type-C port on the 2017 model iPhone and iPad models.

After all, the MacBook and MacBook Pro models are heading in the direction of USB Type-C ports only; it would only be a natural that the iPhone and iPad follow suit in 2017. And it would have the advantage of Apple no longer needing to include a Lightning-to-Micro USB adapter for phone charging purposes in the European market.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Why are folks saying this won't require a dongle??

Yes it will; A new USB to HDMI cable IS a dongle. Just a different kind of dongle.

For example, if Apple decided to remove the HDMI port on the MBPs and replace it with USB-C, then I could not just connect my Mac to a tv or a monitor with the existing cable (that's attached to the monitor or tv).

That said, if near-future monitors and tvs come with USB-C ports that can handle everything that HDMI can, then (and only then) we're in business.

On the other hand, unless the device you're connecting to also charges the Macbook, this is pointless unless you intend to connect for a very short time. The (f'in) single port puts you in dongle-ville permanently.

Pahanda

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
4K? That's useless. If Apple releases a 5K Display, we need HDMI / USB-C which supports 5K 60Hz.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
4K? That's useless. If Apple releases a 5K Display, we need HDMI / USB-C which supports 5K 60Hz.
Wouldn't an Apple display use Thunderbolt like previously to have everything via one cable? DisplayPort 1.3 supports 5K resolutions at 60 Hz and can have 32.4 Gb/s transfer speeds, and Thunderbolt 3 can reach 40 Gb/s.

Pahanda

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Wouldn't an Apple display use Thunderbolt like previously to have everything via one cable? DisplayPort 1.3 supports 5K resolutions at 60 Hz and can have 32.4 Gb/s transfer speeds, and Thunderbolt 3 can reach 40 Gb/s.

Ah, you are right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.