Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
With my older MBP, I could just plug an HDMI cable into my TV or surround receive and get surround sound from a .mkv file that was encoded. With the new MBP, I have to use the USB-C multiport A/V adapter to get HDMI output. When I do this, it won't output encoded audio for surround sound and when I play a file encoded as such, the center channel is completely removed so I can't hear any dialog.

How do I get normal HDMI output back? Is there a better adapter I should be using?
[doublepost=1479861203][/doublepost]BTW, I notice that when I watch a movie with VLC and browse the output options, the USB-C port (with the adapter plugged in) is showing up as "DisplayPort" rather than "HDMI." Is this issue perhaps that multichannel audio can't be passed via DisplayPort? If so, how do I make this "Pro" machine output multichannel audio?

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I can't necessarily help you with your problem, but as far as a better adapter, I'd probably stay away from the various multiport adapters for video output to HDMI. It seems like everyone I've looked at (other than a Cal-digit hub) only supports 4K at 30 Hz. At the moment, the only ones that do 4K at 60 Hz are a few dedicated, USB-C to HDMI dongles.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm using the Apple adapter right now as I presumed this would be the most compatible. Can you recommend a good HDMI-only adapter?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
With my older MBP, I could just plug an HDMI cable into my TV or surround receive and get surround sound from a .mkv file that was encoded. With the new MBP, I have to use the USB-C multiport A/V adapter to get HDMI output. When I do this, it won't output encoded audio for surround sound and when I play a file encoded as such, the center channel is completely removed so I can't hear any dialog.

How do I get normal HDMI output back? Is there a better adapter I should be using?
[doublepost=1479861203][/doublepost]BTW, I notice that when I watch a movie with VLC and browse the output options, the USB-C port (with the adapter plugged in) is showing up as "DisplayPort" rather than "HDMI." Is this issue perhaps that multichannel audio can't be passed via DisplayPort? If so, how do I make this "Pro" machine output multichannel audio?
Can you try a video with surround audio from iTunes? Preferably something directly from the iTunes Store (so it's a known good, Apple-compliant file format). If it works from iTunes, then perhaps VLC needs an update.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The thing is that the audio works correctly when plugging directly into the HDMI port on my previous generation MacBook Pro. That leads me to believe either the Apple A/V multi port adapter isn't behaving or the new MBP's don't output multichannel audio through the USB-C ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.