Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunisherethanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2024
Hello,

I have bought a 16 GB/512G space grey M3 air

Unfortunately, i have headache when using it, even for less than 10 min

I know its not PWM, as the M3 air doesnt have it, but it might something else

Any help ?

I have less than 10 days for the return, i'm very happy with it but i cant continue using it, i will try see if my eyes can be used to it

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Unfortunately, there have been several threads on this issue - it seems to have started when the M-based Apple processors were introduced. There is something going on with these screens that causes these symptoms, and no one is 100% sure of the root cause. Do some searching, there are several things you can try. Some claim mitigation but it’s inconsistent at best.

I found the M1 MacBook Pro to be the least bad for my sensitivity. I had to return multiple newer machines because I couldn’t look at the screens without fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and discomfort.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I prefer dark mode but sometimes when an app is badly designed to my eyes it's too 'dark' and the font used causes me problems. Also occurs with certain websites when scrolling.

Perhaps toggle to the light mode if you haven't already and see if that helps?

spamabyss

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
So go for the scientific approach.
  1. Turn the computer on.
  2. Go close to it without touching and looking at the screen: Some form of gas.
  3. Touch it without looking at the screen: Contact allergy.
  4. Use it with external keyboard and mouse and the internal screen: Screen related issue.
In this order.
If you say you can reproduce it consistently, this should do the trick.

Reactions: MacPeasant123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.