Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Hi all,

I'm looking for some (hopefully inexpensive) headphones. I want a pair for my iMac (I don't have an iPod). Not necessarily lightweight, as they'll just sit on my shelf when I'm not using them. Of course, they need to have respectable sound and be comfortable to wear. The TV is about 6 feet from my desk so it becomes frustrating for me to use iMovie, and intrusive for my wife if I play music. Does anyone have experience with a good pair of headphones that cut out external sound (without turning the volume up full blast, I mean!)? I don't want the TV to drown out the quiet audio of iMovies. I'm guessing the Walkman type wouldn't cut it. For iMovie and MP3s I guess I don't need a professional pair.

If I can buy a good pair from the Apple store online it would be great.

Thanks for any advice!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Look for some cans, not in-ears. They always seem to block out external sounds better...

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
<cough>

032.jpg

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Drum said:
... or you could get the Bose Quiet Comfort phones
Noise cancelling headphones are generally only good at cancelling out noise, like motor/fan hum etc... They do not generally do better at blocking out sound like TV or conversation than any other headphones.

I have a pair of in ear Sonys, and friends who have the Bose ones, can easily carry on conversations on airplanes with the headphones on...

B

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Drum said:
I have some Shure E3cs (in-ear). I tell you - NOTHING isolates like these boys!

I have the Bose 300 bone ones and they are amazing... my bro has teh Shure E3cs . i would go with the Bose, heck of a lot more comfortable and really blocks the sound better. The Bose are simply amazing.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Listen very carefully to the high end though. The Bose adds a lot of warbling, like heavy MP3 compression to the sound. There is no escaping this with noise cancelling. It's one of the bi-products....

Drum

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
Southampton, UK
nsutt22 said:
I have the Bose 300 bone ones and they are amazing... my bro has teh Shure E3cs . i would go with the Bose, heck of a lot more comfortable and really blocks the sound better. The Bose are simply amazing.

I suppose it has to be what suits the individual in the end. I cannot imagine how anything could be more comfortable than my E3s; you can't feel them at all. As far as blocking the sound, well, I can hardly hear any external noises even when I'm not playing music (feels quite weird!). I think you have to make sure that you have the correct size rubber outer rings fitted for your ears. If not, they won't work properly.

One thing I think headphones score above in-ear phones with is that I can hear my own footfall vibrating through my body if I tread heavily when wearing my E3cs. I don't think that would happen with headphones. Mind you, that's not going to be a problem watching TV!

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Drum said:
I suppose it has to be what suits the individual in the end. I cannot imagine how anything could be more comfortable than my E3s; you can't feel them at all. As far as blocking the sound, well, I can hardly hear any external noises even when I'm not playing music (feels quite weird!). I think you have to make sure that you have the correct size rubber outer rings fitted for your ears. If not, they won't work properly.

One thing I think headphones score above in-ear phones with is that I can hear my own footfall vibrating through my body if I tread heavily when wearing my E3cs. I don't think that would happen with headphones. Mind you, that's not going to be a problem watching TV!

alot of people get sick when no music is playing cause it messes up peoples equilibrium being that they cant here the white noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.