Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbospa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Okay early adopters - are you having heat issues? Does it feel hotter than the 2010 Airs? Are the fans running constantly?

FusionZero

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
It won't be a true 1:1 comparison. With all the phase outs of Adobe software, and the hardware acceleration of Flash, in the new Lion release...it will be hard to tell what is causing it.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
same question

i don't really care whether it's apples-to-apples, just whether there has been an improvement in heat. tired of typing on a hot keyboard, which absolutely drives me bonkers when doing any kind of sustained work.

i'm still using a now ancient Rev B model from Autumn 2008. Anyone know how much cooler the 2011 Air will run compared to both the 2010 and my Rev B?

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
i don't really care whether it's apples-to-apples, just whether there has been an improvement in heat. tired of typing on a hot keyboard, which absolutely drives me bonkers when doing any kind of sustained work.

i'm still using a now ancient Rev B model from Autumn 2008. Anyone know how much cooler the 2011 Air will run compared to both the 2010 and my Rev B?

Reviews say it's slightly (a few degrees cooler) than the 2010 model.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I just finished getting my new 11.6", i7 (Ultimate) configured and running. Yes, it does seem to run a little hotter than my 11.6", Core 2 duo (Ultimate) did. The fan was running while I was using Migration Assistant to copy over my files, and the bottom got fairly hot, I don't recall that ever happening with my previous one. But, I used a PDair leather portfolio cover on it so I may not have noticed it. I just took the cover off my old one and put it on my new one now.

Now that I am giving it some normal use it seems to be running at the same temp, not hot to the touch like it did when I was doing a lot of file transfers.

It is a LOT faster though, so it is well worth a lithe extra heat. And having double the SSD.... and the backlit keyboard, priceless.

BTW - I was running Lion on my previous MBA for the past month (developer), didn't notice it running any hotter then.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
@atr

Makes me a bit more comfortable with my i5 choice lol, according to laptopmag it runs quite cool. :)

flight24

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Can some people comment how hot their 13" i5 MBA gets under some use compared to the 13 MBP?

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Can some people comment how hot their 13" i5 MBA gets under some use compared to the 13 MBP?

I'm at nearly 80% of my 120gb Time machine restore on my Air, which is sitting on a blanket. The bottom of the air is 98 degrees F, in between g and h, 99.1. It's much cooler than my MBP was after use.

flight24

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
I'm at nearly 80% of my 120gb Time machine restore on my Air, which is sitting on a blanket. The bottom of the air is 98 degrees F, in between g and h, 99.1. It's much cooler than my MBP was after use.

thanks for the info

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Sorry i don't know how to see the temps and fan speed but let me say this

I've done nearly a full days work on my new i5 13" air.

Coding, graphics, Skype, browsing (loads of tabs) mail, ssh, terminal, command line, docs, app store, iTunes, ical and the laptop didn't once raise its fan speed or get hot.

Its been on all day and the palm rests feel as cold as they did when i first booted it up.

I havent installed flash yet as i use html5 on youtube which so far uses between 6 and 12% cpu which is nothing.

I'm amazed at how quiet and cold it runs. My old laptop in the same circumstances and programs would be noisy all day and warm if not hot sometimes.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I just finished getting my new 11.6", i7 (Ultimate) configured and running. Yes, it does seem to run a little hotter than my 11.6", Core 2 duo (Ultimate) did. The fan was running while I was using Migration Assistant to copy over my files, and the bottom got fairly hot, I don't recall that ever happening with my previous one. But, I used a PDair leather portfolio cover on it so I may not have noticed it. I just took the cover off my old one and put it on my new one now.

Now that I am giving it some normal use it seems to be running at the same temp, not hot to the touch like it did when I was doing a lot of file transfers.

It is a LOT faster though, so it is well worth a lithe extra heat. And having double the SSD.... and the backlit keyboard, priceless.

BTW - I was running Lion on my previous MBA for the past month (developer), didn't notice it running any hotter then.

Sounds like the 11" is running hotter than the 13"? I'm interested in the 13" and wondering which chip will run coolest?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It definitely gets a little warm. I'm basically browsing the web, chatting, and have iTunes running. I'm a on the new 13" base model, by the way. The keys get a little warm too, I notice, but not hot, and definitely no where near hot enough to be unable to type/use.

THe base is where i feel the most warmth, to be honest. But again, it's no where close to actually being hot.

Some early reviews said there were no heat whatsoever, and that just isn't true at all, unless they were testing it whilst the computer was doing nothing.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the heads-up.

It's been really frustrating trying to get a definitive answer on how hot this and the 2010 Air feel to people. For some there is no heat, or no complaints. For others they get hot enough to notice or bother.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to buy one and try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.