Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Hello! I have a 12" PB that Apple has agreed to replace (I've had many problems since July). They also said that I could apply the value of my 12" towards something else, so I'd pay $450 for a new Macbook. If you were me, what would you do? Would you swap out the 12" and get the new one or get the Macbook? I need it to last me through my comps, proposal and dissertation (so like 3-4 years).

I'm a doctoral student and my main applications are mail, Firefox or Safari, iTunes, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat reader (for articles) and Endnote (it interfaces with Word for my references). I also have a Treo which I synch with iCal and the Address book. I have an external display and an external ergonomic keyboard for long writing sessions.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
snh628 said:
If you were me, what would you do? Would you swap out the 12" and get the new one or get the Macbook? I need it to last me through my comps, proposal and dissertation (so like 3-4 years).

I'm a doctoral student and my main applications are mail, Firefox or Safari, iTunes, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat reader (for articles) and Endnote (it interfaces with Word for my references). I also have a Treo which I synch with iCal and the Address book. I have an external display and an external ergonomic keyboard for long writing sessions.

I say stick with PowerPC. See if they'll let you bump up to a 15" without additional cost :D. Some will say that first revisions have all sorts of speed bumps along the way (referring to the Macbooks), others will contest that "since it's Intel" there won't be any/as many. I tend to think there will be several significant issues to be worked out and would rather invest in what works well for the time being, then upgrade to a Macbook once a few revisions have taken place.

Based on the software you use, I don't really think using an Intel Mac is going to hamper you much (if at all).

Just my opinion, take it as you will.

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
I asked, and they wouldn't let me bump up to the 15" at no cost :(. They should after all of the trouble I've had! I appreciate the advice - anyone else?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
snh628 said:
They also said that I could apply the value of my 12" towards something else, so I'd pay $450 for a new Macbook.
Wait a minute... are you talking about the current 15" MacBook Pro or a future released 12" MacBook (or MacBook Pro)?

If they'll change the 12" for the new MacBook Pro, and you don't mind the larger screen/form factor then $450 for a spanking new MacBook Pro is a very good deal... IMO... :eek:

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
No, it would be the current MacBook (15"). I don't think I want to/can wait a few months to see what happens because my hard drive and logic board are messed up!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well I have the current 12'' laptop, and would trade it + $450 for a Macbook Pro in a heartbeat.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
snh628 said:
No, it would be the current MacBook (15").
There is no current MacBook (15"). It's either the new Intel driven MacBook Pro (only in 15") or the good old PowerBook G4 (15", which also comes in 12" & 17").

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
macbook pro. If you want this to last another 3-4 years go with the brand new tech, not the stuff that's already over a year old.

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Sorry, I forgot the "Pro", yes, it would be the MacBook Pro.

Thanks for all of your feedback everyone!

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Thanks! I kind of thought so, but then I wanted to make sure I was thinking the right thing. I'm sorry that I'm being so wishy-washy. I've had such a terrible experience with my 12" PB (first Mac since 1998) that I'm feeling a bit gunshy. I just don't know...

DJ Bliss

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
USA
Definitely MacBook Pro

Staying with the 12" PB would be a terrible decision. Even the newest Powerbook is way too slow. Apple had been falling behind until the MacBooks came out. DEFINITELY get the MacBook. Now that they are available they make the powerbooks almost worthless. Powerbook is a safe bet because it is familiar and proven to be reliable. But there is no good reason to think the MacBook Pros will have any problems. A MacBook would last many many years longer than a powerbook, especially with newer software eventually only being written for x86.

Just my $0.02

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Definitely get a MacBook. For that price you will never be able to beat, plus it will set you up for a long time and just think how much faster it'll be! :D

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
DJ Bliss said:
But there is no good reason to think the MacBook Pros will have any problems.
While I agree that the PB was falling behind and the Macbook Pro will undoubtedly be faster, I seriously question your statement above. If past history of Apple's first revision products in any indication at all, there is a lot of reason to believe that there may and probably will be problems. Just look at the first revision iMac G5 as an example. IIRC, Apple has had issues with just about every first revision product that they have built in at least the past several years. OTOH, the OP has had issues with his current PB, so he may be no worse off.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
Koodauw said:
Well I have the current 12'' laptop, and would trade it + $450 for a Macbook Pro in a heartbeat.
i have a new 15'' powerbook and if i was offered to upgrade i would do it because the macbook pro really has some sweet features like frontrow, photobooth, and not to mention its going to be about 5X faster then you 12'' powerbook.

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Thanks!

Thanks everyone - I appreciate hearing all of the opinions on both sides. Oh, and I'm a she, not a he :). Of course you can't tell from my name.

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
danny_w said:
While I agree that the PB was falling behind and the Macbook Pro will undoubtedly be faster, I seriously question your statement above. If past history of Apple's first revision products in any indication at all, there is a lot of reason to believe that there may and probably will be problems. Just look at the first revision iMac G5 as an example. IIRC, Apple has had issues with just about every first revision product that they have built in at least the past several years. OTOH, the OP has had issues with his current PB, so he may be no worse off.

The difference between previous Apple products and the new Intel based products is that Apple was the only consumer of the technology before. They had custom motherboards, chipsets, and the whole nine yards. With the new Intel systems, they're using Intel chipsets and designs that are very close to what the rest of the Intel world is using. I agree with the others that say that there is no reason to think that there will be significant issues with the Rev. A MacBook Pro.

snh628

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Thanks everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I've decided to get the entry level Macbook Pro. I will let you all know how it is when I get it. Thanks again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.