Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Dude, you made such a mistake. The PB is like ancient and the MBP is the greatest machine in the history of machines! Sucker! You should have just thrown that $1499 out the window!

Only kidding...congrats on your new 15" PB - I just got one from the Refurb Store as well - It arrived last Wednesday. It runs and looks great!

I love it. My fiance & iMac are getting very jealous of my new PB! :D

I thought I got a good deal on my stock 15" Rev. E model for $1399 - How'd you get yours loaded for $1499? That's a great deal. I've never seen upgraded models advertised on the refurb store, but I have heard of people getting surprise upgrades.

These are all good tips for me, since I'm in the same (lobster) boat as you right now. I got the incase sleeve for mine and it fits nicely. I didn't want a big bag - I prefer to slip it in my backpack or messager back (less conspicuous to theives IMO).

Since this is my first mac laptop, I've picked up a few wi-fi related widgets from the dashboard site, as well as a keyboard shortcut widget since I feel more likely to use them on the PB vs. when I'm on a desktop.

Anyway, enjoy your new PowerBook!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Diatribe said:
I guess if there is constant pressure applied on the screen while the lid is closed it might but otherwise I don't think you're going to have a problem.

Exactly, it depends on use. You can see how much pressure is being applied by looking at the imprints on the microfiber. The newer models have plastic tabs which lessen the problem.

I plan on using distilled water ($1) and a 3M Microfiber Cloth ($4) for cleaning. Only use lint-free cloths with no wood particles. Microfiber is well-suited because it absorbs oil and dirt, without spreading it around or causing scratches.

I used iKlear for a long time, but it became too expensive and I didn't like the filmy polish on my hands. The bottle was also growing what appeared to be mold. :eek:

As for a keyboard protector, call me a minimalist, but I think they're stupid. I want to type on the keys, not look at them. They're ugly and the keys feel good by themselves... :p You can always use a can of compressed air to remove crumbs and whatnot.

There are endless carrying options. You'll probably go through several.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
MAGASIN. The big one for the PowerBook (I think it should fit any Mac 'book up to 15"), and the smaller for the (wireless?) mouse... :)

Then you can put the laptop on any uneven surface, like a sofa, bed or your lap...

I have been looking for something like that! Not a cutting board but rather something super cheap and sturdy for the old MBP. Dang, now I'm gonna have to stop by IKEA next time I'm in Atlanta. I can never get out of there with just one thing. ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
emw said:
I like my anger to be kept under the radar.

zing! LOL

m-dogg said:
I thought I got a good deal on my stock 15" Rev. E model for $1399 - How'd you get yours loaded for $1499? That's a great deal.

whoa, $1399 for a stock rev. E is a great deal too! They are $1599 refurb on the apple store... how'd you manage that?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
MAGASIN. The big one for the PowerBook (I think it should fit any Mac 'book up to 15"), and the smaller for the (wireless?) mouse... :)

Then you can put the laptop on any uneven surface, like a sofa, bed or your lap...

I use a lap desk, a thin hard surface with a bean-bag like thing under. It looks something like this:

FA0165S9_1103.jpg

While looking for a pic of it online, I came across this:

bed.jpg

...for all those times you wanna compute in bed :p

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
lots and lots of iclear. If you use the keyboard, the sweat from the heat will leave a nasty mark on the palm rests and knowing how much time u take in your setup, you'll be cleaning that sucker everyday!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
annk said:
I use a lap desk, a thin hard surface with a bean-bag like thing under. It looks something like this:
Where did you get that...? I've been looking for one (or rather two) for ages... I remember those from the late 70s and early 80s, but have not seen them since... :)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Where did you get that...? I've been looking for one (or rather two) for ages... I remember those from the late 70s and early 80s, but have not seen them since... :)

From my ex- sister-in-law :rolleyes:

If I ever see one here in Oslo, I'll PM you. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
annk said:
If I ever see one here in Oslo, I'll PM you. :)
Cool... thanks...

I've been to most of the (even remotely possible) options here in Bergen...

I need an excuse to go to Oslo... Haven't been there for more than a few hours combined over the last decade or so...

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Cool... thanks...

I've been to most of the (even remotely possible) options here in Bergen...

I need an excuse to go to Oslo... Haven't been there for more than a few hours combined over the last decade or so...

If you come, we'll have a Norwegian MR meeting with Gekko and the other one (sorry - is it Buzz or something like that?) and post pics afterwards :D

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
QCassidy352 said:
whoa, $1399 for a stock rev. E is a great deal too! They are $1599 refurb on the apple store... how'd you manage that?

The company I work for has an EPP (Employee Purchase Program?) store with Apple. I get discounts approximately equal to what students get for new items in the Education Store.

I was looking to get a refurb PB and was leaning towards the 12" but when I finally decided to buy there wasn't much to choose from in the refurb store. So I checked it regularly waiting for models to show up when one day I saw on the EPP store a $200 instant discount on the latest 15" & 17" refurbs only (no special discounts on any of the other refurbs). It was the only time I had ever seen a discount off the regular refurb prices on the EPP store and was enough of a discount to bump me up from the 12" to the 15" - So I jumped on it and am very happy so far.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
wPod said:
the best piece of hardware i can offer for your PB is a screen protector from radtech i love it b/c it keeps all the keyboard marks from ruining my screen.
That used to be a problem with the old Titanium Powerbooks, but they seem to have rectified it with the Aluminum ones. I've had three Alu powerbooks (12", 15" and 17") and have never had a problem with the keys touching the screen. Believe me, I was super anal about it when I had my Ti Powerbook, so I am quite relieved not to have to worry about it anymore!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
puckhead193 said:
lots and lots of iclear. If you use the keyboard, the sweat from the heat will leave a nasty mark on the palm rests and knowing how much time u take in your setup, you'll be cleaning that sucker everyday!

Just rinse off your hands every once in a while. :D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

try here, search for "lap desk." I have one, and it works great.

Edit: I'm such an idiot. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.