Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
to address my Six Month Old MacBook 2.16, which developed "minute" scratches several weeks after I had bought it (lined up with the spacebar and touchpad); and after two attempts to have it replaced or repaired; is visiting the Emeryville, CA Apple Store @3:00pm with the Store Manager to workout a "reasonable" resolution to the entire situation, one that will be accommodating to "The Apple Store" and "MYSELF!" So, I laid out my concerns about not being able to sell my MacBook at a reasonable price, since it has the scratches on the screen, and my desire to purchase a New MacBook Air, or receive a New MacBook 2.16 without the scratches. Well, the manager stated, "I deserved a personal shopping visit today, and we can discuss the matter in detail and work something out to both of our satisfaction!" I was just blown away by those comments and kissed my dog and gave her extra treats, for my "good fortune!" Anyway, now I'm wondering what exactly should I ask for, and to what extent they would go to to appease this situation? Also, I thought it rather odd that they would call after I sent back their "customer service email questionnaire." Any IMMEDIATE feedback would be greatly appreciated. :p

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Well...

all went well. I'm waiting for my Brand New MacBook to transfer all my data from my MB 2.16 and then I'm outta' this store!!! The stats on my MacBook 2.4:

# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
# 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

I spent maybe 5 minutes with the Store Manager, and as agreed upon during my phone conversation, I selected the Mid-Level MacBook 2.4 and they had one configured to my specs, and so began the transfer process.

Apparently, these MacBooks just arrived yesterday and the Store Manager was very helpful in instructing me to configure my new MacBook immediately. So, I went to their Mac Pro and came up with those specs in a matter of seconds, and I was told, "that's do-able!" (is that a word?). So, in about 15 minutes, I'll be on the way home navigating the "horrendous" traffic with my week 47 iPhone and a Brand New MacBook 2.4 w/250GB HD, and 2GB DDR2 SDRAM sitting beside me! I LOVE THOSE Apple Store Managers!!! :p

Reactions: 0989382

pugple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Why can't I ever get this kind of luck? :(

When you were filling out the questionnaire I guess you checked the box that says something like it's okay to call me or something?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Exactly what I did...

Why can't I ever get this kind of luck? :(

When you were filling out the questionnaire I guess you checked the box that says something like it's okay to call me or something?

and I was definitely surprised with the phone call inviting me to the Apple Store for a shopping spree with the Store Manager!:p

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
and I was definitely surprised with the phone call inviting me to the Apple Store for a shopping spree with the Store Manager!:p

That is customer service right there. They did the right thing and now plenty of people know about it and I would figure that you will be buying a Mac again partially because of this. Why can't all places be like this? I gladly pay more for exceptional customer service, I guess I may just be a small part of consumers.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL

The questionnaire is from when you bring in your machine for service. I get theses all the time and yes the store manager get dinged on theses if they come back bad. That’s why the manager follow up on it.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
The questionnaire is from when you bring in your machine for service. I get theses all the time and yes the store manager get dinged on theses if they come back bad. That’s why the manager follow up on it.

exactly-- they are expected to follow up to turn your bad experience into a positive one-- that's good service-- glad you got your situation taken care of and enjoy your new computer!

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Wow, that's great. Congrats.

Now, I wonder how I'd go about getting the same type of experience by telling the Apple store manager in San Diego that I have become disenfranchised with the sluggishness and easily detntable aluminum on my 2005 12" Powerbook, and that I'd like to replace it with a Blackbook. After all, the Applecare warranty is still good until November!!!

Not likely, I know......... only because I don't think I could part with my awesome Powerbook.... unless they finally get WISE and release a 12 inch MBP. :p

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Not sure...

Are the scratches on the screen a know issue with certain models?

but I did make that point an issue. We agreed that my MB was in immaculate condition, with the exception of the minute scratches. I had a total of 24 charge cycles on the battery and I even had them saying "this MB is really clean!" My concern was simple (to me) and it addressed the issue that the scratches were caused through normal wear and tear on the MB in a very short period of time, as evidenced by my bringing it to their attention three weeks after I had bought the MB. I explained that if I had known that this was a problem with the MB, I would have done everything within my power to protect the screen with a screen protector or the foam sheet that came with the MB. I was adamant that there was no forewarning by Apple that this would occur nor was there any "recall" initiated addressing this issue. I was certain that this problem was not my fault and that they needed to step up to the plate and replace the screen at no cost to me or issue a new MB. These were the only two options I felt comfortable with, and they blinked. So, I'm wondering, as you are, if there are "more" MB out there that would fall into that category? I'm beside myself, that more threads don't exist on this problem.:cool:

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
Hello fellow SFState student,

I agree with the service at Emeryville's apple store. They are the nicest bunch out of the many apple stores in our lovely bay area. hehe. When I brought in my 1 week old MBP for a jittery trackpad, the genius looked at it for 5 mins, confirmed the problem and exchanged it with a new one right on the spot. He apologized for the inconvenience and let me on my way. On the way out was a lot of "thanks for stopping by" from almost all the employees.

Hmm.. however when I called them yesterday afternoon regarding the new MB and MBPs, they said they weren't getting any till Friday. suspicious... :confused: oh well, i ended up getting a new updated MBP from stonestown hehe. :D

-JoE

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Alright, Go Gators!

Hello fellow SFState student,

I agree with the service at Emeryville's apple store. They are the nicest bunch out of the many apple stores in our lovely bay area. hehe. When I brought in my 1 week old MBP for a jittery trackpad, the genius looked at it for 5 mins, confirmed the problem and exchanged it with a new one right on the spot. He apologized for the inconvenience and let me on my way. On the way out was a lot of "thanks for stopping by" from almost all the employees.

Hmm.. however when I called them yesterday afternoon regarding the new MB and MBPs, they said they weren't getting any till Friday. suspicious... :confused: oh well, i ended up getting a new updated MBP from stonestown hehe. :D

-JoE

They had 'em stacked and packed in the back, since they just arrived yesterday evening. I was lucky enough to get one that met my configuration specs, otherwise I would have had to wait until tomorrow. The signage wasn't even up and ready on their displays, but they did have the new line of MB's on display.

I was a little disappointed with their CS regarding the scratched screen, but that immediately changed when the Store Manager called my house. I never went in to Emeryville demanding this or that, but tried to get them to work with me and when that failed last week, I pretty much "chalked it up to experience." But, the Apple Gods were looking down upon me! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.