Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I have about 5gb of mp3's in my iTunes library. They're all also on my 10gb iPod. I want to do a clean install of Jaguar. I know in 10.1 I can "show hidden files" with TinkerTool to get to my mp3's on my iPod, but they're not all sorted into folders like in the Finder. If I just copy my iTunes library onto my iPod as-is, it will be full and I won't have room for my pictures, apps, etc. So... is there a way in 10.2 to show my mp3's on my iPod, and if so, will iTunes automatically sort them into folders in the Finder when I import them? Or do I need to erase everything on my iPod and copy my iTunes library from the Finder? If so, how do I erase my iPod? Or do I do something else altogether? Guidance, please! :confused:

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Help backing up mp3's before clean install

I don't have an iPod and I've never used 10.2, but from what I understand, when the iPod is plugged in, it can act as a Firewire hard drive, and you want to use it for backing up your MP3s and other things?

All your MP3s, on both your iPod and in your iTunes library, have ID3 tags which store the artist & track names among other things. iTunes 3 has the ability to build a folder hierarchy based on the information in these tags - e.g. "~/Music/<artist>/<album>/<song>". It also has an option available to do this for you automatically - so you could rebuild your iTunes library sorted neatly into folders from the MP3s on your iPod quite easily by simply importing everything from your iPod and keeping this option checked in iTunes. The option is called "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and is in the Advanced section of the iTunes 3 preferences.

If this doesn't work, you COULD erase everything on your iPod and copy everything including your MP3s directly from the Finder, but then you wouldn't be able to listen to the MP3s you have backed up from the iPod. I think you can erase all the MP3s that reside on the iPod using iTunes.

(I could be wrong about some or all of this, though. :))

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
i had the same problem, 5 gigs of music on my ipod, no way to get it off. Fortunately their is away, unfortunately I found it too late. Their are a few custom apps out their that willl allow you to retreive your music. I'm using iPod retreiver 1.1, works great. If you need it email me at: bkonar@ameritech.net and ill send it to you.

peace
brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.