Help! Cannot boot into windows, freezes at startup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Coleslaw, May 30, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

May 30, 2008
    I have been running OSX leopard on my 15" Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, have been using Bootcamp Windows XP once in a while and never had any problems with it. Three weeks ago I turned on my laptop and held the Option key to select my windows volume (as always) but the selection screen never appeared and freezes on the "white screen of death". I had to turn it off and on again to get back into osx.

I let it sit for several nights and tried again to boot into XP and it worked again. But the same problem showed up again few days after. I thought there's a problem with the Option key, so I went into OSX and set the default boot volume to the Windows partition, but once I restarted it freezes right away at the startup white screen.

I tried all the intel mac startup key combos possible to force it to boot back into OSX but none worked. I read somewhere that if I removed the battery and power cable and let it sit overnight it might work, so I did and used Command-Option-O-F or something and I was able to boot back into OSX to reset my default boot to the mac volume.

So then I tried to remove the bootcamp partition and install it again, the re-partitioning worked fine but once I was given the option to pop in the windows disc and press the "Start Installation" button, it restarts and freezes again on the startup white screen.

So I forced boot back into OSX and did a repair install and eventually a full clean install of Leopard, did all the Leopard updates and tried again with bootcamp. Still freezes at the startup white screen. I am stuck now, I guess its a hardware problem but OSX works perfectly fine. I don't know what else I can do, any ideas? :(
  2. macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2008
    Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas
    Boot with your Leopard install disk and run disk utility directly from the install DVD. Let it repair the HD if necessary and try to run Windows again. I suspect you may have some bad sectors on your HD which are preventing Windows from starting up. Since it seems everything was working OK for a time, it's likely a HD problem.

As a precaution, make sure you have a good backup of all your data, email, music, documents, etc.