Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
HI, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, I figured that that the Apple Collectors might have the best take on this problem.

I've just bought an original G3 powerbook (or Kanga, 3500 powerbook) on ebay. Unfortunately the previous user had used password protection and forgotten his word!, so I initialised the disk using an os9 install cd. That went well, but then it wouldn't actually let me install the system software. I tried using two different 9.0.4 install discs (one from an imac g3, one from a pismo g3 powerbook). Neither worked and a message came up saying that the software wouldn't run on my computer.

I have managed to get hold of a non-specific retail version of os 8 (its version 8.0. I think). This still won't install, the same message is still coming up when I click on the installer "This program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information."

Have no idea what documentation is being referred to, I don't have the install manual but have read the install read.me file pretty thoroughly. Has anyone else experienced this problem on their Kanga? I'm afraid that I might have wiped the firmware by over zealous disk initialization, but then I guess I wouldn't be able to even read the install cds I tried. Any help is greatly appreciated, I really want to get this pbook up and running!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
My guess is that you'll have to get a generic OS 9 installer for it. It originally came with 8.0, but the generic 8.0 installer you have might not recognize the hardware and be unable to install.

Firmware isn't stored on the hard drive, so you didn't wipe it out, however it might need a firmware update, unfortunately, to do that you need an OS installed if it isn't on your installer CD.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
thanks guys. well at least I know I haven't fried the firmware. I'll get hold of a os9 cd, and just hope it works. After my experiences with 3 different discs I'm a bit panicky about ever getting an OS on there. Hows about 8.5, might that work?

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
yellow said:
I'm not sure 8.5 was ever sold as a generic installer.. I don't remember frankly.

8.5 was sold as a retail version for any compatible Mac. It's much cheaper to buy on ebay than a generic version of 9 and might just help me to get this thing started!

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Those OS 9 discs are machine-specific. You can't use them to install the OS on any Mac other than what they are designed for. Find a retail copy of OS 8.5 or 9 and you'll be fine.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
yellow said:
Really? I would have thought they'd both be dirt cheap.

For some odd reason OS 9 and 8 discs go for 40 and up. X_x

Then theres this guy selling pirated copies of OS 9 with I believe these really crappy audio CDs. I bought one, thought it was real, but it was a CD-R. -.-

The audio CD sucked too.

>.<

At least it was the Powermac G4 disc.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
yellow said:
Really? I would have thought they'd both be dirt cheap.
Yes so did I. In the UK, os 8.5 goes for about £15, os9 for about £30+ ($25-60?). I bought a pismo in june for £280 and the kanga was £77 so I'm trying now to get/borrow the software I need for cheap of for free. At the place i sometimes freelance I can find any number of old g3 powerbook install disks, but i think they're all off lombards or pismos. I was even lucky enough to find a pismo accessories box! But trying to find a retail version of any software there seems to be pushing it, there just isn't any lying around.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
yellow said:
I'm not sure 8.5 was ever sold as a generic installer.. I don't remember frankly.
How could you forget the "it's like having a whole new computer for $99" campaign?

8.5 was a major release (more important than 9.0 actually, considering the improvements it brought).

As for the situation at hand... the only version of Mac OS 8 that will install would be off the original installation disks. You might have some luck with an 8.1 CD... but you would be better off with 8.5 (and then upgrading to 8.6).

As for the 9.0.4 CDs that were tried, both of those were tied (by Apple) to the specific hardware they came with. This was to stop people from trying to do... well, quite frankly, exactly what Aeronautical was trying to do. :eek:

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
RacerX said:
As for the 9.0.4 CDs that were tried, both of those were tied (by Apple) to the specific hardware they came with. This was to stop people from trying to do... well, quite frankly, exactly what Aeronautical was trying to do. :eek:

True!

Now does anybody know about the installer application that is on these cds. I can install various pieces of software individually, but need installer engine/application 4.5.3 to install others. I can find the installer engine, but clicking it just 'shadows' the image (like file in use visual in classic os). I'm probably flogging a dead horse and should just wait and get the correct software...!

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, you could try finding someone who services Macs.

I, for example, would install 8.6 on any system that originally came with 8.x, 9.1 or 9.2.2 (depending on what the system will support) on any system that came with 9.x, and 10.1.5 on any system that came with 10.0.x or 10.1.x without questioning as to what media the owner of those systems had in their possession.

And as I service Macs for a living, I have pretty much every version of the Mac OS and keep copies of all of them in my tools bag (along with hardware test CDs for specific systems) at all times. I would guess that this wouldn't be much different from most people who work on Macs. I stay prepared for most any problems I might run into with systems running any where between System 7.0 (and in some cases System 6.0.x) to the latest versions of Mac OS X.

And I've installed 8.6 on a number of 3400s and Kanga G3s (and in some cases installed all the way up to 9.2.2 using OS 9 Helper).

You've just got to find the right person.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
RacerX said:
And I've installed 8.6 on a number of 3400s and Kanga G3s (and in some cases installed all the way up to 9.2.2 using OS 9 Helper).

You've just got to find the right person.

Well, have installed a retail version of 9.1. And it worked! However, it wouldn't install the quicktime files ( i was given option to skip, or stop download altogether, so skipped) and now I can't read the help files or access help at all. Is there a version of quicktime that I can download to my pismo (haven't got internet set up on kanga yet) and then burn and install on my kanga?

Back to quote RacerX: OS helper, haven't heard of it, but followed link and sounds very good, is there a way to download stuff to one mac then burn it and install it on an other, or does it install automatically on the machine you download it to without leaving a usable file that you can copy?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
You can download either Quicktime 5.0.5 (here) or Quicktime 6.0.3 (here), both of which should work on your system. Also OS 9 Helper can be downloaded on one system and moved to another.

I would suggest connecting your systems using ethernet... but burning the stuff on to a CD and moving them that way should also work.

OS 9 Helper will help with installing Mac OS 9.2.1 (here) and then 9.2.2 (here). You'll need to patch the sound manager and modem extension on your system after upgrading to 9.2.x, you can find what you need here.

When you get on the web with that system you'll need a browser. I would suggest the following for your system:
Netscape Communicator 4.8 (old but reliable)
Netscape 7.0.2 (most compatible with the current web, but flaky at times)
Mozilla 1.3.x here and here (unofficial Mac OS 9 port)
Internet Explorer 5.1.7 (some sites only work if they see IE)​
Hope that helps a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.