Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I use good reader to annotate PDF's during class. It is great- I like all of the options to export out to other formats.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I haven't used iAnnotate but between GR and PDF Expert - I prefer the latter. They do the same things and work very well. PDF Expert has a far better looking UI (especially on the iPhone). It depends on your needs really but I'd wait for a sale. I won PDF Expert through a raffle long ago (got the iPhone one for free when it went on sale) and bought GR for $1.

On another note, Documents is also a powerful app. It doesn't have nearly as many annotation features as PDF Expert or GR but should do the work for many people. Did I mention it's free? It's from Readdle… creators of PDF Expert.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I heard that iAnnotate is able to convert a .doc into a .pdf where I cannot find that functionality in GoodReader?

Is this all true and is iAnnotate a better choice for somebody who receives a lot of Word .doc files, or am I missing something (in GoodReader).

TIA.

I have GoodReader, and can confirm that it does NOT convert to pdf at present. I looked for this specifically in the last week or two.

Regards,
Tom

pdfmax

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
Feel free to try PDF Max. It has a free version for you to try. More info here
It's universal, runs on both iPhone/iPad in a single app.
a9d86b5f0c24b6c364ce520425e4e8e8.png

7eca0932493b0371d0dcf12500ca36db.png

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Want to add to the mix. Have a hard hard time deciding. Leaning towards PDF expert but want some views on the others before making a decision.

What are your guys views and experiences on the following:

Annotating
PDF Reader Pro Edition
PDF Forms

Converting
To PDF
PDF Converter

Both
PDF Reader Pro
DocAS
PDF PROvider

negarey

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
Feel free to try PDF Max. It has a free version for you to try. More info here
It's universal, runs on both iPhone/iPad in a single app.

I downloaded PDF Max a while ago in my search for a PDF reader, but the free version doesn't allow users to test out the writing tools so I ruled it out immediately. I am a super poor student and I can't afford to guess at whether or not those features will turn out okay after purchase. Just FYI.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Does anyone have experience with NoteSuite? The reviews seem pretty good.
Unfortunately, it isn't available yet in the app store in my country.

Last edited:

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
A strong point for Goodreader is that it can connect (and often also sync) with a lot of internet and (local) networkservices like SMB, WebDav, Dropbox, (S)FTP, Skydrive, Google drive, ....

epicmar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
Does anyone have experience with NoteSuite? The reviews seem pretty good.
Unfortunately, it isn't available yet in the app store in my country.

I have Goodreader, iAnnotate, PDF Expert, PDF Max and NoteSuite (as well as quite a few other apps in this category). All of the mentioned apps do a better job with annotations than NoteSutie, but if you are looking for an all in one notetaking, annotation, file manager, todo app then NoteSuite is probably the best. It needs a little work on its UI and its file annotation functionality, but it is a very solid app. I have been using it for a while as my primary notetaking, file managment, pdf annotation, todo app. Hope that helps.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I have Goodreader, iAnnotate, PDF Expert, PDF Max and NoteSuite (as well as quite a few other apps in this category). All of the mentioned apps do a better job with annotations than NoteSutie, but if you are looking for an all in one notetaking, annotation, file manager, todo app then NoteSuite is probably the best. It needs a little work on its UI and its file annotation functionality, but it is a very solid app. I have been using it for a while as my primary notetaking, file managment, pdf annotation, todo app. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I am looking for an app that has note taking, file manager (I need directories of several levels deep) and annotating. A plus for me is also that it has an iMac version where it can sync with (though the iMac version has no annotating).
I think I can do with simple annotating, so when NoteSuite comes out in my App Store, I'll give it a try.

Matth3w

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Does PDF Expert also open other standard types of files? Unfortunately I need to be able to open all xls, doc, and ppt (but mostly PDF). I am trying to switch from goodreader as I think the layout is meh.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Does PDF Expert also open other standard types of files? Unfortunately I need to be able to open all xls, doc, and ppt (but mostly PDF). I am trying to switch from goodreader as I think the layout is meh.

Yes you can. Like GoodReader, PDF Expert can open doc, xls, pages, numbers and so on files. You cannot annotate on them though (neither can GoodReader).

Matth3w

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
ugh, I'm irritated with myself for purchasing this. I misread where it says in iTunes that it's good for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad thinking it was a universal app whereas it's not.

PadingtonBeer

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
Ended up choosing NotablePDF for my pdf viewer, newer software but really stable. have found it useful on my mac although im still holding out for ipad support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.