Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artefact2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
just switched on my 23" display this morning to find that what looks like a fine, less than pixel width, piece of dust anout 13 pixels long has appeared in the centre of my screen. The display is (of course) out of warranty, anyone heard of this problem or know what the process is to fix this? The dust appears 'behind' the images rendered on screen. Any help much appreciated. thanks...

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
I have heard of LCDs picking up dust and hair. It has to be taken a part and cleaned. That's all I know, sorry. Since it isn't under warrenty, I would suggest finding a shop that does TV repair and see if they can help.

-PowerMac-

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
Same Prob?!?!

I also have a few bits of dust behind my screen on a 20inch cin/display at first i thought was dead pixels after close inspection you can tell there behind the display inhibiting the pixel making it look dead or stuck , im still under warrenty but in not into paying 40+ $$$ for the service charge for them to look at my disply and tell me what i already know apple wont replace the monitor unless a certain amount of pixels are dead but will charge even under warrenty for the usless apple geniuses to take a look ..
does any one have a link to a DYI of taking the monitor apart id rather take my chances of cleaning my self and breaking it then paying apple to tell me what i already know , least if its broke they'll give me a new one...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Do you have an Apple Store near you? If you can cart it in to one, a genius will look at free-of-charge and give you a verdict as to whether it's significant enough to be a warranty repair.

If you take it apart yourself and break it, Apple won't repair/replace it under warranty, as you will have voided your warranty.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
With the way how the Apple Cinema Display is design, it isn't very secure and there is no screw that tighten it. Some of the display you may get may be kinda loose if you press on it gently on the screen on the far left or right corner. If your is kinda loose it will move the screen inward a little bit. I believe the display is hold together by some sort of chemical bond to glue it together. That's why there is problem with uneven backlighting. That's why every display have different kind of backlight from severe to moderate depend on how tight it being put together. The one that have less seam not to be so tight is what I heard. There is even people having tiny bugs crawl under their display which is even scarier and give me quite a shock. I know because I seen a lot of this and been going through a fews of the Display myself. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do about it but take it apart to clean it. But I would strongly suggest you not to do this because it void the warrantee, and I don't think you can put it back together correctly because of the glue it use. Maybe take it to the Apple Store and see what they say about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.