Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xaveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2002
HAWAII
Anyone,
I just bought a epson C80N printer and have it hooked up to a linksys 4 port wireless router BEFW 1154 V.2 I have a Power Book g4 running wireless on the router and a Power Mac G4 733 which is plugged into the router. The Power Mac has no problem reading the printer but the Power Book cant find it on the network. Could someone offer any help or know of anyone that can? Any help would be appreciated.

I did install the drivers for OS 9.2 and have turned on appletalk but to no avail.

Thanks and Aloha, TIM

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Did you install the drivers onto the PowerBook for the C80N? Are you running OS 9.x or OS X (10.1.4)???

I have my C80 (modified to a C80N) on my home network plugged into my 8 port switch that connects to my Airport base station. Once the drivers were installed, it shows up under the 'Epson Appletalk' selection (OS X). Make sure you have the Appletalk item active in your network preferences item.

If your laptop can go online, then you should just need to enable Appletalk. I'm attaching an image of what should show once you have it setup, to enable printing under OS X. Your printer name may be slightly different, but it should be in the same listing.

Attachments

• epson appletalk.jpg
    epson appletalk.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 136

Xaveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2002
HAWAII
UPDATE

I am running in OS 9.2 I did not try it in os X yet, So I will to see what happen's.

Xaveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2002
HAWAII
Yes I did select the C80 printer in the chooser but it wont select because it doesnt show up on the network.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Xaveman
Yes I did select the C80 printer in the chooser but it wont select because it doesnt show up on the network.

How did you configure the printer??? Did you follow the directions, or just plug it all together and assume there was nothing else to do???

Under OS 9, set Appletalk to Airport, make sure the TCP/IP settings are also set for Airport, and then select the printer from the chooser. Make sure the printer itself is power up, and go at it again.

The flaw in the net could be the Linksys router... since I have an Airport base station and no problem getting to my printer from EITHER OS 9.2.2 OR OS X (10.1.4).

Xaveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2002
HAWAII
I have did everything you just said.. And have also talked to a epson tech. They seem to think its the linksys router too. The printer shows up on my PowerMac with no problems and everything is running fine on my PowerBook. Getting online, checking email, etc. It just wont find the Printer. :(

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Thought as much... Try going wired to the router instead of wireless and see if you can print. If you can, then I'd say return the Linksys and get an Airport base station in the mix there.

Xaveman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2002
HAWAII
It does print when I go wired and I do have the Base Station. I just bought the linksys because it has 4 ports and is wireless and I could really use the ports. Do you have a suggestion as what type of hub I could hook up to the base station to have the 4 ports and also be wireless at the same time?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Xaveman
It does print when I go wired and I do have the Base Station. I just bought the linksys because it has 4 ports and is wireless and I could really use the ports. Do you have a suggestion as what type of hub I could hook up to the base station to have the 4 ports and also be wireless at the same time?

Yeah, a Netgear 5 port Ethernet Switch (10/100). They sell them at compusa and sometimes as Best Buy as well. The router was a poor choice if you already have a base station. Which base station do you have?? Graphite or White??? Are you on high speed or dial up? If you are on a high speed connection and white, just plug it into any port, if graphite, then connect your high speed modem to the uplink port (set it to uplink). If you are using the white one, then just connect the base to the switch (any port).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.