Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
I just installed OS X Panther on my work station.

I'm trying to configure mail AND entourage to connect to our exchange server.

The problem is, both apps ask for a IMAP/SMTP server. I was under the impression that such settings were not needed with an exchange server, so is out IT guy.

Anyone can help me configure this?

If you want to work this out with chat, my ichat nick is srobert.

Thanks

Seb

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'd say about 95% of the time the SMTP server is mail. followed by your domain. In my case:

Domain: truman.edu
SMTP : mail.truman.edu

if that doesn't work, I'm clueless.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Re: Help!!! Exchange server and MAil.app

Originally posted by srobert
I just installed OS X Panther on my work station.

I'm trying to configure mail AND entourage to connect to our exchange server.

The problem is, both apps ask for a IMAP/SMTP server. I was under the impression that such settings were not needed with an exchange server, so is out IT guy.

Anyone can help me configure this?

If you want to work this out with chat, my ichat nick is srobert.

Thanks

Seb

Mail is not completely exchange compatible - and as such, the work around is Apple uses SMTP instead of Exchange's protocol to send mail.

most companies have SMTP turned off (for security reasons) - so even if you find the domain, chances are they've disabled SMTP in the first place (if they are smart).

the newest Entourage client gets us CLOSER, but it STILL doesn't fully support exchange (they use SMTP as well! unbelievable!)... i wish they'd just port Outlook to OSX - hell, i'd pay a few hundred bucks just for that... but i doubt they do it.

i'm still using Outlook in CLASSIC to connect to our exchange server - that sucks, but it works for the time-being.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Wow... that means that as long as SMTP is off on the exchange server, there is no way to get my mail in OS X? Thats a bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.