Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adrianus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
A while back i dropped my iBook G4 and the bottom of the screen cracked away from the plastic. It isn´t the actual screen that broke and it works fine. Just need to know if anyone has had this happen before and what did you do?

I will try to put up pictures tomorrow.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, you need to get a new inner frame in the display panel.

It is not that big of a job you just need courage and the right parts.

I would strongly advise you NOT TO USE THE IBOOK.

This happened to a friend of mine and when you open the display like that broken, it "flexes" the logic board (because it is screwed to the board) and causes the connections on the board to break off and kill your machine.

Again, do NOT try to use this until it is fixed. I know it works, but you are bending or flexing your logic board when you open it in a broken state.

Adrianus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, i went to an Apple store yesterday and the guy told me not to worry about it. He said the only thing that could happen is that it could cut off the power to the backlight. I´ve been using it for about 6 months since it broke and had no problem. You sure the logic board is there?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I would take the screen off and just fix it, then.

I am saying my friend had this exact problem and it killed the logic board after usage after a while.

Adrianus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Ok. Do you know where i can get parts and instructions? ifixit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.