Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyview

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I need some help using a CH341A programmer and SOP8 clip on my late 2013 15" MBP. End goal is to read and save the ROM, and modify the Big Sur firmware so that I can undervolt again (get rid of "OC_Locked" in VoltageShift). Someone has detailed this at the GitHub page here.

I installed Xcode command line tools and homebrew through which I installed flashrom on another MacBook. The problem is I can't get it to read the chip using flashrom. I get "No EEPROM/flash device found." I should note I am practicing this on a spare mid 2014 15" MBP logic board that is outside of a MacBook (this logic board powers on but does not boot). Does the logic board need to be powered while reading / writing?

Could someone please post some detailed pictures of how to connect the CH341A programmer with SOP8 chip to the MacBook Pro chip? I think I'm doing it correctly but not sure.

Full output from flashrom:

sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r test.bin
flashrom v1.3.0 on Darwin 20.6.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org/
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
libusb: info [darwin_detach_kernel_driver] no capture entitlements. may not be able to detach the kernel driver for this device
libusb: info [darwin_claim_interface] no interface found; setting configuration: 1
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.

Side note:
Looking up the bios chip (mxic mx 25L6406E) online shows it should be read / written to at 2.7V to 3.6V. How do you set the programmer to 3.3V mode? Some are saying online that the data lines are always 5V on the CH341A and the programmer has to be modded if you really want 3.3V.

Side note 2:
Could Open Core Legacy Patcher actually make this all unnecessary? I haven't used it yet but doesn't it run a custom boot rom? I don't quite understand how it works.

Last edited:

Flyview

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I was able to get it working simply by making sure the SOP8's pin connector and the clip was on tight. The logic board did not need to have power for it to be read. I also left the CH341A as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.