Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruce Patterson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Winter Park, Florida
I'm in need of some help here. I had a previously unlocked iPhone using iphonesimfree and decided to try and install the following to get 3rd party apps on my iPhone - http://lifehacker.com/software/hack...+party-applications-on-your-iphone-295985.php

Suffice it to say that it didn't work and now my iPhone won't reset and has a yellow triangle that says to connect to iTunes.

I tried turning it off and also holding the home button and the off button and it only reset with the yellow triangle. I'm obviously worried that I've screwed my phone up. Can anyone suggest how I can get my phone back to working order again? I'm desperate to figure this one out!

Thanks in advance!

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Did you connect to iTunes?

Bruce Patterson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Winter Park, Florida
I opened iTunes with the phone connected but don't want to hit the "restore" button b/c I'm worried it will put the latest software update on the phone and I won't be able to unlock it...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So I just need to hook it up to iTunes and hit restore? Are you sure?

Yes, I had a 1.1.1 iPhone when 1.1.2 was out. Did a Restore since I ran into a problem. I used Restore plus a copy of the 1.1.1 Firmware and worked like a charm.

I am positive it should be the same with yours. However, there are differences between 1.0.2 and 1.1.1, so do this if you feel confortable and at your risk.

Bruce Patterson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Winter Park, Florida
Thanks so much for your response, Jav. Since it's such an important issue, can anyone else confirm for me whether or not it would be okay to connect a 1.0.2 unlocked iPhone to iTunes and NOT expect it to auto-install 1.1.2?

Thanks in advance.

PatMack

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Restoring iPhone will cause iTunes to check for and install the latest software.

You must hold down the Option key while pressing restore. This will allow you to choose to restore to 1.0.2 manually. If you have any issues, feel free to PM me. I have done this oh-so-many times.

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Do a manual restore by pressing option key while you press the restore button.
And for simfree, I think it works on 1.1.1 too??
So its time for you to update to 1.1.1 :)

Bruce Patterson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Winter Park, Florida
So I can safely work from 1.1.1 and unlock AND activate the phone now? I feel out of the loop lately! :)

I think I'll have to re-buy the program from iphonesimfree.com (in Canada, iphoneanywhere.ca) again b/c I can't get it successfully unlocked using any of the other methods...unless someone can pass along the link to a reliable and easy alternative unlocking method.

And yes, I figured out the option-restore key and was able to put 1.0.2 on my phone...if I'm unlocking it again anyway, I guess you're right...put 1.1.1 on it first!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.