Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkilaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2024
Ok so long story short, i’ve had my macbook air for around 4 years now and have used it frequently. I got the service recommended alert a few weeks ago for my battery cause the capacity was limited due to ago, charging was also somewhat touch and go. Now, it seems one of the ports has died entirely as it won’t even recognize and the other port wont charge unless it’s not doing anything else. Can I do anything about it myself or should I just take it in?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Ok so long story short, i’ve had my macbook air for around 4 years now and have used it frequently. I got the service recommended alert a few weeks ago for my battery cause the capacity was limited due to ago, charging was also somewhat touch and go. Now, it seems one of the ports has died entirely as it won’t even recognize and the other port wont charge unless it’s not doing anything else. Can I do anything about it myself or should I just take it in?
I had a similar issue with my previous MacBook (2008-2012). I tried charging it one morning and it wouldn't charge at all. Because I stupidly let it drain to 0% then it wouldn't turn on.

Apple ruled it as a faulty logic/motherboard and charged me £365 to replace it. Didn't last long before it stopped charging again so maybe it was the battery on its way out. I used that MacBook every day for hours on end as my main machine for almost 4 years.

This was back when you could replace the battery (and SSD and RAM) yourself. Unfortunately, you can't do that yourself now so your only option is have Apple look at it. Be prepared for a hefty repair price... unless you have AppleCare?

I'm paying for AC+ annually because of my previous experience. I want to keep it for 4-5 years so will pay for AC+ beyond the standard 3 years cover.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.